Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Electric start keeps cranking

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
HondaMike
honda305.com Member

Electric start keeps cranking

Post by HondaMike » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 pm

I have a 65 305 dream, I had to replace the clutch perch so I take apart the start button case to put new on when I put it back together I turn on the key and the starter turns over without pushing button.? I took apart the case put together again it still keeps starting with key on Not pushing the button.! I don't know what to do help please anyone all information appreciated
Thank Mike

jleewebb
honda305.com Member

short

Post by jleewebb » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:16 pm

The wire to the starter button is hot, pushing it grounds circuit to operate starter. Take housing apart again and make very sure the wire is not grounding out. Things are very tight in there. I ended up filling the cavity with liquid electrical tape on mine.
'62 CB77. "It's a rider."

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:21 pm

The button just earths the red/yellow wire to operate the starter motor, you have either assembled the button incorrectly or the wire has got trapped. Try disconnecting the yellow/red wire in the headlight, if it still cranks over then the button is ok and wire might be shorting near the headstock or even the solenoid might have stuck. Try disconnecting at the solenoid, if it still cranks on its own then the solenoid is definitely stuck.

HondaMike
honda305.com Member

Post by HondaMike » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:17 pm

Thank you both for the information I'll try that information out and I'm sure the problem is just what you guy's say is happening. I'll get started on it today .Thanks again
Mike.

Natashanut
honda305.com Member

Post by Natashanut » Tue May 08, 2018 3:31 am

I want to know what it can help. Electric rotary Can you tell me?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home