Admirers

Honda CD 125 - 1969 model

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Basecamp
honda305.com Member

Honda CD 125 - 1969 model

Post by Basecamp » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Hi
I wonder if anyone could be so kind and give me some advice, i have CD 125 rebuilt running - starts with one kick but not with electric starter - its 6 v system have tried with flat'ish 12 v and starts have put new magnito switch - battery is from Honda Holland - and still no joy any ideas, my next thought was ignition coil but not easy to find, anyone know one from another bike i could use ? thanks for any help

DJM
honda305.com Member

CD175 Starting problems

Post by DJM » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Does the engine turn over reasonably quickly when the new 6 volt battery is connected?

Do you have access to a voltmeter?

If so you could check the battery voltage when the starter motor is turning the engine over, or trying to.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:48 pm

If the bike starts and runs then there is no problem with the ignition coil. I'm not sure what you mean by a magneto switch! The starter circuit is quite simple, when you push the starter button it earths the starter solenoid and so energises the solenoid to make a connection between the two big terminals on the starter solenoid and this allows power to go directly to the starter motor. When you push the starter button, if there is a distinct click then the primary circuit is ok but the solenoid may still be faulty. If there is no click then you need to investigate the button and wiring to it. A quick test is to put a big screwdriver accross the large terminals, if the starter motor spins then the solenoid is faulty. If there is no response then the starter motor is defunct.

Basecamp
honda305.com Member

Post by Basecamp » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi
Thank you both for such swift reply's DJM the engine struggles and wont turn over when using the starter button, i can check the voltage, and have workshop manual which might tell me what it should,
Geoff Hastings, sounds very very hopeful - will give it a go and let you know what comes of it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home