Admirers

CL77 Coil Wiring

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

CL77 Coil Wiring

Post by Mrburnn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:34 am

Good morning Forum!

I am trying to help a friend solve an electrical (sparking) issue with a '66 CL77. I believe the right coil is wired incorrectly but would like confirmation from someone more knowledgeable than I. This bike has the double coil set-up. Current wiring is the black lead from the switch connects to the (+) terminal on the left coil but to the (-) terminal on the right coil. The condenser is connected to the (-) terminal on the left coil but to the (+) terminal on the right coil. Isn't the right coil connection reversed?

I would appreciate hearing your comments. Thanks as always!!

I did try uploading a picture but could not.

MrBurnn

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:28 am

Mrburnn wrote:Good morning Forum!

I am trying to help a friend solve an electrical (sparking) issue with a '66 CL77. I believe the right coil is wired incorrectly but would like confirmation from someone more knowledgeable than I. This bike has the double coil set-up. Current wiring is the black lead from the switch connects to the (+) terminal on the left coil but to the (-) terminal on the right coil. The condenser is connected to the (-) terminal on the left coil but to the (+) terminal on the right coil. Isn't the right coil connection reversed?

MrBurnn
Correct. The condenser always connects to the neg studs on a negative-earth bike/vehicle, along with the pair of leads which go to the points.

The only wires on pos side of the coils are the 12v, black, ignition feeds.

Also, check my pictorial description of the way the points’ insulators should be set up.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/de-mysti ... t6272.html

I’m getting properly pissed-off with this site, now! images are disappearing, now I cannot upload new images! I keep getting told “Tried to upload empty file”.

It’s becoming NOT WORTH THE EFFORT… Grrr!
Last edited by e3steve on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Post by Mrburnn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you for the reply. Correcting the wiring will hopefully help with the starting issue and prevent arcing of the right points that I noticed while trying to time the points.

Could you send your pictorial description of the points set-up directly to me? I can't seem to enlarge the pictures on the website to have a closer look.

Thank you very much!!

MrBurnn

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:14 am

Image emailed. ;-)

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am

An ignition coil’s internal connections dictates that it must be connected correctly. It is polarity-sensitive, requiring no grounding to the casing, as it gets its negative reference via the points (contact set).

Its energy-release is created when the points open; the condenser suppresses the arcing, thus allowing maximum energy to be generated...

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:34 am

Hi Steve

Get a Flickr account and you can just post pictures (embedded) as you please. I can help if you need it.

ImageCB72-Right Side.jpg by Graham Curtis, on Flickr

G
e3steve wrote:
Mrburnn wrote:Good morning Forum!

MrBurnn
Correct. The condenser always connects to the neg studs on a negative-earth bike/vehicle, along with the pair of leads which go to the points.

The only wires on pos side of the coils are the 12v, black, ignition feeds.

Also, check my pictorial description of the way the points’ insulators should be set up.

http://www.honda305.com/forums/de-mysti ... t6272.html

I’m getting properly pissed-off with this site, now! images are disappearing, now I cannot upload new images! I keep getting told “Tried to upload empty file”.

It’s becoming NOT WORTH THE EFFORT… Grrr!
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks, Graham. It just miffs me that images from older posts are no longer available.

What’s changed? And why? This forum is for the benefit of all, but it’s become properly screwed up!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home