Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Setting up aCA77

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
heliwilly
honda305.com Member

Setting up aCA77

Post by heliwilly » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:25 pm

My brother has had a lot of work done on the CA77 he acquired.
The engine seems fine, but there seems to be a problem with the kickstart. When he kicks it over and the kickstart returns, there doesn't seem to be a stop that stops the kickstart in a specific place. What is the mechanism that is used as a stop when the kickstart returns under the pressure of the spring.
Thanks Bill W.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Setting up aCA77

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:47 pm

It has to do with the location of the KS Shaft when the cover is installed.
Where are you located?. .....................lm

heliwilly wrote:My brother has had a lot of work done on the CA77 he acquired.
The engine seems fine, but there seems to be a problem with the kickstart. When he kicks it over and the kickstart returns, there doesn't seem to be a stop that stops the kickstart in a specific place. What is the mechanism that is used as a stop when the kickstart returns under the pressure of the spring.
Thanks Bill W.

heliwilly
honda305.com Member

Post by heliwilly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:46 am

Hi LOUD MOUSE,
Unfortunately the bike is located in the UK near Leeds. Any written instructions would be very useful. Bill W.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:53 am

Bill

There is a stop in the clutch side of the kickstarter shaft. With the right side cover off, turn the kickstart shaft clockwise until it won't turn any more. It is now at the stop which 'parks' the ratched / pawl.

Then, replace the whole left side cover, with the spring tensioned. You should be fine.

G

Thanks Bill W.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks G. (LEFT SIDE COVER?)
That's exactly what I would have said if he had responded to my message. .............lm

G-Man wrote:Bill

There is a stop in the clutch side of the kickstarter shaft. With the right side cover off, turn the kickstart shaft clockwise until it won't turn any more. It is now at the stop which 'parks' the ratched / pawl.

Then, replace the whole left side cover, with the spring tensioned. You should be fine.

G

Thanks Bill W.
Last edited by LOUD MOUSE on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

heliwilly
honda305.com Member

Post by heliwilly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks for the information G-Man.
I have been in contact with my brother who tells me, that with the rightside cover removed, the kickstart shaft can be turned clockwise continously, it doesn't stop. Is there some kind of a stop built in that stops the kickstart shaft tuning?
Do you have any drawings or diagrams that would show this stop.
Thanks for your help so far. Bill W.

LOUD MOUSE.
You asked my location, which I gave you 3 hours before G-Man replied. Bill W/

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:38 am

It has to do with the location of the KS Shaft when the cover is installed.
I also sent this with that message and expected a reply as to How/What so I could answer your reply.
The Shaft is stopped by a Large Bolt sort of thing (black, kick stopper bolt) installed in the lower case behind the outer clutch basket. .................................lm
heliwilly wrote:Thanks for the information G-Man.
I have been in contact with my brother who tells me, that with the rightside cover removed, the kickstart shaft can be turned clockwise continously, it doesn't stop. Is there some kind of a stop built in that stops the kickstart shaft tuning?
Do you have any drawings or diagrams that would show this stop.
Thanks for your help so far. Bill W.

LOUD MOUSE.
You asked my location, which I gave you 3 hours before G-Man replied. Bill W/

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home