Admirers

Right Cylinder Electrical Issue

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Right Cylinder Electrical Issue

Post by Mrburnn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:42 am

Good morning Forum,
I am having a problem with poor spark on the right cylinder of my '67 CL77. The spark on the right is visibly much weaker than on the left. When I put a new plug in the right side the bike starts easily and idles just fine. After a very short time (20 minutes or so) the right cylinder begins to "stumble" and the idle goes very low. Eventually the right plug stops firing. The plug is now "dead" which I confirmed by testing it on the left side. This has happened twice now. Would a faulty coil be causing this problem? I have had no issues with the left side plug.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone would like to make.

MrBurnn

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Right Cylinder Electrical Issue

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:06 am

It could be the coil.
Have you twisted the cap off, cut 1/4 in. off the end and twisted the cap back on?
Removed the wire at the coil and cut the end off then pulled the rubber on the wire back, inserted the wire then pushed the rubber in and threaded the aluminum cap on?
Checked the points timing of the right side points?
Air screw 1 1/4 turn out from bottom of the right side carb?
I can help better were you to call me or give me your number. ................lm

Mrburnn wrote:Good morning Forum,
I am having a problem with poor spark on the right cylinder of my '67 CL77. The spark on the right is visibly much weaker than on the left. When I put a new plug in the right side the bike starts easily and idles just fine. After a very short time (20 minutes or so) the right cylinder begins to "stumble" and the idle goes very low. Eventually the right plug stops firing. The plug is now "dead" which I confirmed by testing it on the left side. This has happened twice now. Would a faulty coil be causing this problem? I have had no issues with the left side plug.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions anyone would like to make.

MrBurnn

Mrburnn
honda305.com Member

Post by Mrburnn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Thanks for the response Loud Mouse. I have not cut the ends off the plug wires and reconnected them. The timing is correct. Air screw is about 1-1/8 turns out which seems to give me the best balance between idle and throttle response. I will try your suggestions concerning the wire and, if that doesn't work, I will send a private message to you to get your phone number.

Thanks again!
Mrburnn

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home