Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

bad wiring

Points Based Ignition | Electronic Ignition Upgrade
denttrader
honda305.com Member

bad wiring

Post by denttrader » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:10 am

I recently purchased a 64' 305 dream for restoration. It had sat for 5+ years without being started. The wiring was modified to bypass the battery (kickstart only). I have had it running for a couple of days now. Yesterday I started it and then turned the key to turn on the lights. The lights flashed on for a second and then everything died. Since then, it won't start and there is no spark. I have fried something but I am weak in electrical and don't know where to start. My goal is to restore the wiring so that the electric start works. Any assistance on where I Should begin would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />

Lee
honda305.com Member

Re: bad wiring

Post by Lee » Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:06 pm

denttrader wrote:<br />I recently purchased a 64' 305 dream for restoration. It had sat for 5+ years without being started. The wiring was modified to bypass the battery (kickstart only). I have had it running for a couple of days now. Yesterday I started it and then turned the key to turn on the lights. The lights flashed on for a second and then everything died. Since then, it won't start and there is no spark. I have fried something but I am weak in electrical and don't know where to start. My goal is to restore the wiring so that the electric start works. Any assistance on where I Should begin would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br />That symptom is typical of a battery going bad. Connect a DC volt meter to the battery and turn on the headlight switch. The battery should have over 12 volts; if it doesn't, replace the battery. Keep in mind that we're assuming that the battery has enough electrolite and has been charged. Typically, when a battery goes bad all of a sudden, charging will do nothing for it.

chriso
honda305.com Member

Re: bad wiring

Post by chriso » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:22 am

Hi,<br />Page 90 of Bill Silver's book :<br /><br />&quot; If you are trying to charge your dead battery, by riding into town, you can see that you will be stranded in no time! Your lights will also be in jeopardy, because the charging system (fully functioning) will be delevering upwards of 30v to your 12v bulbs.&quot; He goes on to say &quot; Rectifiers can be damaged by operating the system either without a battery or with a &quot;dead&quot; battery.&quot; <br /><br />You may want to check the rectifier as well. <br />The reason I am quoting, is because I have been at this for only a week, and I am in the exact same boat! I bought a new wireing harness and am putting my Dream back to factory specs.<br />hope this helps,<br />chriso

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home