honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Superhawk dragged out of barn-Need some help to revive her.

scum
honda305.com Member

Superhawk dragged out of barn-Need some help to revive her.

Post by scum » Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:22 am

Hi folks, I'm new here. From central Mass. I've picked up an old CB77 that's been in a shed for 20 years. Well, it started out IN the shed but the shed gradually decomposed around it. She's in tough shape but pretty complete. Needs a teardown. I'm pretty good with a wrench and gradually will finish it. Most of the work I can handle, but I do have some questions...
The motor is locked and in the proccess of dragging it out of the woods we must have forced it. I found a freshly broken rocker arm. I've got two CL77 parts bikes I'm planning to use for what I need and then part out later. One of them runs (allegedly).
Well the first thought was to put the scrambler's engine into the superhawk. The scramblers kick start is worn/broken, the superhawks is missing. And of course the scrambler has no electric start or tach drive.
I have to decide between coverting the scrambler engine with the CB's electric start and going without a tach. OR putting the scrambler head on the CB engine (once I free it up) and still having no tach. OR trying to find a CB head or overhauling the old head.
Not having a tach doesn't really bother me, I can use the scramblers headlight/speedo. Or can I fit the tach drive to the scrambler head?
If I get a new head I'll have two 305 engines, maybe two bikes.
Any suggestions? PS- cheap is good.
Thanks, brother scum
Happy motoring...brother scum
My Vintage Japanese Bike Meet-- www.rice-o-rama.com

jesmed
honda305.com Member

Post by jesmed » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:03 pm

Hey Brother, I can't answer your specific questions, but I strongly recommend buying Bill Silver's CD which contains a ton of technical information and detailed instructions for rebuilding these engines. I rebuilt a barn-fresh '65 Super Hawk over the winter, knowing nothing about it except what I learned from Bill's CD, and it was worth every penny. So my only advice is, unless you're very familiar with these bikes and their quirks, don't try a rebuild without some expert guidance! I think there's a link to Bill Silver's site elsewhere in this forum. Good luck.---Jesse

jesmed
honda305.com Member

Post by jesmed » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Hey Brother, I can't answer your specific questions, but I strongly recommend buying Bill Silver's CD which contains a ton of technical information and detailed instructions for rebuilding these engines. I rebuilt a barn-fresh '65 Super Hawk over the winter, knowing nothing about it except what I learned from Bill's CD, and it was worth every penny. So my only advice is, unless you're very familiar with these bikes and their quirks, don't try a rebuild without some expert guidance! I think there's a link to Bill Silver's site elsewhere in this forum. Good luck.---Jesse

scum
honda305.com Member

Post by scum » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:35 am

Thought I'd check in with my progress. I bought 3 more CB77 parts bikes. I'm in the paint and assemble stage now. Going for a low budget cafe style SuperHawk. I still have a set of stock fenders, may add later. i'm happy with it so far...

Image[/img]

scum
honda305.com Member

Post by scum » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:26 pm

I got it mostly finished. Thanks to all who answered my questions etc... It's not a perfect resto, but I didn't want a perfect resto. I'll be improving it as the years go by, this one is a keeper.

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm

Scum, I LOVE IT ! Way to go on the rebuild. Kustommusic

Dogsbd
honda305.com Member

Post by Dogsbd » Wed May 02, 2007 9:40 pm

Looks great!

Think of it as a restoration to the condition of a circa 1970-ish customization! :)

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home