Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dilemma - Your Thoughts, Please

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Dilemma - Your Thoughts, Please

Post by Seadog » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:09 am

I have a dilemma about parts replacement and am asking for your opinions. Here it is:

I went to replace the kick start bushing on my early 1964 CB77 and found that my right side crankcase cover is cracked. I have to replace it. I cannot find a welder willing to fix it. Even if I could repair it, I don't know how it would look and I do not know if I'd ever trust it again. Fortunately, I do have a NOS early cover and a NOS late cover to fit in its place. My dilemma is in which one to use. While I am not truly a purist and I have added new parts to the bike, I have not done anything that cannot be undone - turn signals were added, for example. I also have no intention of restoring the bike to showroom condition, but the idea of using the later cover somehow isn't sitting quite well with me. On the positive side, the later cover is more reinforced in the kick start bushing area, so, with a new bronze bushing, it will outlast me. On the negative side, it's not truly correct for this model....

What say all of you? Which would you choose to use for a daily rider in nice condition - old style or new?

oldbikedude
honda305.com Member

Post by oldbikedude » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 am

I see nothing wrong with "upgrading" for a rider. Most people wouldn't know the difference. If it's not a show bike, I say go for it unless you have another, proper bike the parts could be used on. I would forgive you. LOL. Not sure about some of the other folks.
'67 Ca77 Dream

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Dilemma - Your Thoughts, Please

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:20 am

As both are NOS you may want to decide which is more valuable and sell it and use the less valuable. .......................lm

Seadog wrote:I have a dilemma about parts replacement and am asking for your opinions. Here it is:

I went to replace the kick start bushing on my early 1964 CB77 and found that my right side crankcase cover is cracked. I have to replace it. I cannot find a welder willing to fix it. Even if I could repair it, I don't know how it would look and I do not know if I'd ever trust it again. Fortunately, I do have a NOS early cover and a NOS late cover to fit in its place. My dilemma is in which one to use. While I am not truly a purist and I have added new parts to the bike, I have not done anything that cannot be undone - turn signals were added, for example. I also have no intention of restoring the bike to showroom condition, but the idea of using the later cover somehow isn't sitting quite well with me. On the positive side, the later cover is more reinforced in the kick start bushing area, so, with a new bronze bushing, it will outlast me. On the negative side, it's not truly correct for this model....

What say all of you? Which would you choose to use for a daily rider in nice condition - old style or new?

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

Post by rustywrench » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:44 pm

I vote for the stronger part since you are not a "purist", it should not matter. In any case, I always look inside and listen to inner Bubba. Inner Bubba will never let you down, after all it is your bike and you can do what you really want. Let that be your guide. Rusty

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Dilemma - Your Thoughts, Please

Post by G-Man » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:57 pm

Seadog

I don't know how early your early cover is but the very early ones had a steel bush in the case compared with the phenolic bush used in the later ones. Of all the broken ones I have seen it has been the ones with the phenolic bush that have cracked....

I would be very interested in buying your cracked cover, should you ever decide to sell it.

G

Seadog wrote:I have a dilemma about parts replacement and am asking for your opinions. Here it is:

'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I still hope to hear from others.

G, to answer your question, it’s an early 1964 cover with a phenolic bushing. I’ll send you a PM.

e3steve
h305 Moderator

Post by e3steve » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:27 am

Dawg, disseminate the information offered and use the cover that will last the longer. You’ve already answered your own question regarding the correctness of fitment...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home