honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Do you ride your CB77 on the freeway/highway?

I ride my CB77 on the freeway/highway

Poll ended at Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Yes
67%
N0
33%

Total votes: 3

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Re: Do you ride your CB77 on the freeway/highway?

Post by redblk63 » Sun May 03, 2020 1:47 pm

Mark, thank you for your reply and the references. You are exactly correct about the timing, except the problem was the stop pins had their neoprene rings worn through allowing the max adv to be about 11 degrees too much. Weak springs would just allow this to be reached at lower revs, and would not affect the maximum adv.

I did as you suggested for several years, that is, I set the static adv 11 degrees retarded from the F mark so that the full adv would be correct. This is safe, but makes it a trial to ride at low revs. I know, this would not be a problem at a race track or on the highway, but is when puttering around.

I just started another topic on this in this sub-forum. Briefly, I had Tim Miller rework my advance mechanism. Removing it from the engine is not for the faint of heart.

Larry

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon May 04, 2020 5:18 pm

Hello Larry.
Do you now hear a metallic TIC, TIC from the steel to steel contact of the weights?. ...................lm

redblk63
honda305.com Member

Post by redblk63 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 am

Hi there lm,

No, I thought I might, but I can't hear the now-metal substitute for Honda's neoprene surface when it contacts its "stop". I admit that my engine is a bit loud, and has fairly loud Dunstall-type mufflers which could mask a bit of rattle.

I am quite happy with Tim's modification to keep the amount of dynamic advance to the required amount. I can now use your procedure to set the static timing and get good response across the rev range, and hopefully not experience any more melted sparkplug electrodes and seizures from too much advance at speed.

By the way, I can no longer find your description of how to set the float height in FAQ. I'll start a separate thread on my recent experiences and conclusions on float height. I'm surprised how sensitive the CB77 engine is to proper float height.

Cheers,
Larry

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home