Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Noob, just getting started on a 67 CL77

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Noob, just getting started on a 67 CL77

Post by WrenchRust » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:55 am

So many Questions, so little riding time... Glad you guys are here.

I've always wanted a 305 and I finally got one. I've spent weeks at a time lurking on this site, but didn't have a 305 so I didn't join (although years ago I had a CB160. She just needs the carbs cleaned to get running) Last week I saw an ad in craigslist for a Honda Dream, $700. I went to check it out, it turned out to be a CB77 and he took $500. It's complete (almost, he took the airbox off and put on pods. The tool box is gone too) Regardless, I'm happy with my purchase.

That said, it needs work. The engine is stuck. I was hoping that some oil in the cylinder and some gental rocking would free it. That isn't the case. So I started taring into it last night. It seems I'm not the first, all of the screw heads are mangled making this a very slow process. So First Question; which screws are replaciable with modern screws as opposed to the J.I.S. threaded screws? What are my options here?

Thanks for any and all advise,

Joel

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:36 am

Welcome to the forum!
3, 4, 5, and 12mm thread pitches were changed in about 1967, the last year of production to "modified JIS" also referred to as ISO (modern) pitch.
Some of the later production bikes may have a mixture of both.
I would save what I took off for comparison before replacing them.
All others are the same as now.
Good luck.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:12 pm

Thanks Brewsky. It's always the simplest answers that make the most since.

Any idea how to get the Cam Chain off when you can't get to the link and the pistons are stuck? I feel like I'm going to have to cut it off but I don't want to get all those metal filings dropping down into the case.

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

chain

Post by rustywrench » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:43 pm

I use a chain breaker tool I picked up at harbor freight. It's hard to get it aligned straight but once you get the pin most of the way through you can use a small pin punch to get it all the way. Don't forget about the two small nuts under the spark plugs and don't ask me why I mention them at this point. You would also find the 16 mm bolt on that tool handy for removing the stator at the end of the crank. Once you get to the stuck pistons, use the search section to find the many threads about setting them free. Welcome to the journey my fellow 305'r, and congrats on the good score. RW

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:51 am

Hi Wrench Rust

I just used a dremel on the pins of my chain(s). If you are really lucky, you might find the split link if you remove the chain tensioner and oil pump first.

If you are worried about metal filings, just pack the area around the sprocket with rag and lay the engine on its side. You are probably going to have to strip the engine right down anyway so it will all get cleaned out later!

Enjoy the journey - there's plenty of mechanical meyhem and fun to be had. As RustWrench says, there's plenty of stuff here on unfreezing stuck pistons. Beware whacking anything if the pistons are at TDC / BDC though, as your blows will be transmitted directly to the crankpin surfaces rather than just turning the crank. Heat, penetrating oil and patience are the most valuable tools in your toolbox for the task ahead.....

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:28 pm

today is my birthday and all I've really wanted to do today is wrench on my CL77. My girlfriend had other idea's. I love her (and she lets me use the spare room as my work shop) so we went out to eat, quality time together thing. But she had to run by work for about an hour and I figured I could get some motor oil under my nails.

First thing I do when I get in there is put her in gear and rock her back and forth. The cam chain moved!!! I grab a 14mm and try the stator bolt. THE PISTONS ARE FREE. I try the kickstart, works too. Except it sprayed used oil all over the aformentioned spare room / work shop. Out the head, out the exhaust, dripped out the area where the points were and the other side too. I'm hoping all that spray was from the cam cover being off.

Now the real question, I'm half way apart. Do I finish the rebuild (I haven't bought any of the parts or manuals yet and money is a bit tight) or do I put her back together and ride her ugly. (my car was just hit while parked and the other person ran. Took off the drivers side door and bent the frame, so I could use the transportation. Using my girls Honda Metro 50cc scooter right now but my testicals refuse to get on that bike)

Keep going or turn around?

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 pm

I've made a decision, I'm going to keep working on the bike. I'll start ordering the parts tonight. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) New pistons and Rings
a) the ones from "ClassicHondaRestoration" for $269
b) or, on ebay "NOS Made in Italy Race pistons and rings" $50
2) New Gasket Set
3) New Cables
4) New Oil Seals
5) Carb Kits

MAYBE

6) E-Ignition
7) New Charging System from Rick's
8) New Wiring Harness (My wires seem ok, but the casing is brittle)

Anything I'll need to add to this list?

And thanks for all the help and encouragement thus far. It's truly appriciated.

Joel

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home