Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Firing on right cylinder only

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Firing on right cylinder only

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:40 pm

First was to put one of each design piston the same WRIST PIN.
The dome height is the same. "check it for yourself"
For the pistons I installed one of each side by side in the same cinder assy.
Put the cylinder on it's top and pushed both pistons down to acquire the same level of the tops. "of course they had rings on them"
Using a syringe with volume marks as to how much liquid was in them to start the test I filled each cylinder with liquid then compared how much was left in each syringe.
The DREAM syringe had several more levels of liquid on the gauge of the syringe than the CB/CL piston side. "compare the dome shape of the DREAM to the CB/CL dome"
The CB/CL side took more liquid than the Dream side = more volume= less compression.
I then went to the heads of both engines.
Each had fresh valve work and I used the liquid to fill one side of each dome area.
The DREAM took more liquid than the CB/CL so I used a DEPTH Mic and measured the DEPTH of each dome area.
The DREAM is DEEPER than the CB/CL and when you include the larger valves in the CB/CL the volume of that combustion is Less.
No HONDA literature just checking volume with and being able to know what is where. ..................lm

fatboy98
honda305.com Member

Post by fatboy98 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:34 pm

Ok guys here is the latest on my project. I ended up taking the cylinders off and went and bought .50mm oversized pistons and had the cylinders bored to fit any way i got it back together the comp.is 150 both sides so i fire it up and i STILL have popping through the exhaust and a little through the carb. i adjusted the valves set the points/timing i swapped coils all with no change in the popping.So today i swapped the carbs from one side to the other and now the popping is coming from the other side so now that is telling me that there is something wrong with the carb? I this carb 3 times cleaning it blowing air through it seems to be clean to me. And also when the bike is running i can screw the mixture screw all the way in that is where it seems to run a little better but that cant be right? seems to be running real rich. I can also pull the plug wire off the side with bad carb and the bike will still run but when i pull it off the good side it dies. Thank you for any help with this.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:45 pm

Silly question but are you letting the bike warm up thoroughly, these bikes DO pop and bang a bit as they warm up before they will run without the choke, usually at least a couple of miles of running. It's not worth trying to make any adjustments on the carbs until the engine is at full working temperature. If all else fails you could try a different pair of carbs, do you know anyone with a spare pair they'll lend you.
If the carbs and the rest of the engine are in good condition these engines aren't usually difficult to set up, I feel for you frustration, hope you get it sorted soon.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Also read the comments on this site's Home page titled 'Cold Blooded Bikes'

fatboy98
honda305.com Member

Post by fatboy98 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:00 pm

I am letting the bike warm up. the thing i dont get is when i switched the carbs from one side to the other the popping and pulling the plug wire off all changed to the other side also??

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:00 pm

Check the suspect carb again carefully, do both carbs have the same jets and needles in them and fitted in the same groove, float heights actually the same and floats free to move, drop off the two bowls, carefully, do they both contain the same amount of fuel?
If possible try another pair of carbs or even just one to replace the suspect unit.

If the problem swaps sides when you change the carbs over the problem should disappear when you find the cause, sounds as if you know where to look but haven't found it yet?

Keep coming back to the Forum and I'm sure it will get fixed eventually.

Good Luck

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home