Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Honda CL77 Kickstarter not catching

180degree
honda305.com Member

Honda CL77 Kickstarter not catching

Post by 180degree » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:52 pm

I recently got a 1966 305 Scrambler that was partially restored. When I tried to start it a few days ago I noticed that at one point the kickstarter didn't seem to catch when kicking it down. I kicked it again and it seemed fine and didn't notice any other problems with it, and the bike started. Today I went to start the bike and the same thing happened but it seems to not catch at all. I tried it a handful of times and it caught once and turned the bike over fine. I'm new to this bike but mechanically inclined and hope this is something that I can fix myself. Does anyone here have an idea of what this can be or if this is a known problem with these bikes? The bike has around 9K original miles on it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Honda CL77 Kickstarter not catching

Post by G-Man » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:38 am

Pull off the cover and check for cracks inside the kickstarter "knuckle" that attaches the kickstarter to the splined shaft inside the case. They crack and it will need welding up to make it work again.

G
180degree wrote:I recently got a 1966 305 Scrambler that was partially restored. When I tried to start it a few days ago I noticed that at one point the kickstarter didn't seem to catch when kicking it down. I kicked it again and it seemed fine and didn't notice any other problems with it, and the bike started. Today I went to start the bike and the same thing happened but it seems to not catch at all. I tried it a handful of times and it caught once and turned the bike over fine. I'm new to this bike but mechanically inclined and hope this is something that I can fix myself. Does anyone here have an idea of what this can be or if this is a known problem with these bikes? The bike has around 9K original miles on it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

180degree
honda305.com Member

Post by 180degree » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:15 pm

G-Man, thanks for the reply. I'll follow your advice and pull the cover to check it out. I didn't have much time today but tried to kick the bike a few times tonight and it engaged and turned the engine over 3 times in a row, that's all I tried with it. Would the problem you're describing cause this behavior with it sometimes engaging and not other times, or if it needs welded would it not engage at all? Thanks again.
G-Man wrote:Pull off the cover and check for cracks inside the kickstarter "knuckle" that attaches the kickstarter to the splined shaft inside the case. They crack and it will need welding up to make it work again.

G

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 am

If it sometimes works, it may be the kickstarter pawl slipping and that will require a full strip-down.

G
180degree wrote:G-Man, thanks for the reply. I'll follow your advice and pull the cover to check it out. I didn't have much time today but tried to kick the bike a few times tonight and it engaged and turned the engine over 3 times in a row, that's all I tried with it. Would the problem you're describing cause this behavior with it sometimes engaging and not other times, or if it needs welded would it not engage at all? Thanks again.
G-Man wrote:Pull off the cover and check for cracks inside the kickstarter "knuckle" that attaches the kickstarter to the splined shaft inside the case. They crack and it will need welding up to make it work again.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

180degree
honda305.com Member

Post by 180degree » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:00 am

G-Man, thanks for the info, I'm going to plan on tearing it down as a winter project to see what's going on.
G-Man wrote:If it sometimes works, it may be the kickstarter pawl slipping and that will require a full strip-down.

G

OldScrambler
honda305.com Member

Post by OldScrambler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:31 pm

If the knuckle is cracked, the splines on the shaft as well as in the knuckle will wear each time it does not catch. If your knuckle cannot be welded, it may take some time to source a good replacement.

If the pawl is defective it usually is a clean break and the kickstart shaft will not catch.

180degree
honda305.com Member

Post by 180degree » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 pm

OldScrambler, thanks for the reply. I'm going to wait a month or two and take the engine apart to see what I can find. Will be be fairly obvious if the knuckle is cracked or the pawl is defective once I have it apart? I have two complete CB77 motors that I can use for parts if these parts are the same.

OldScrambler wrote:If the knuckle is cracked, the splines on the shaft as well as in the knuckle will wear each time it does not catch. If your knuckle cannot be welded, it may take some time to source a good replacement.

If the pawl is defective it usually is a clean break and the kickstart shaft will not catch.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home