Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Swingarm Assembly question

big-b
honda305.com Member

Swingarm Assembly question

Post by big-b » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:45 am

Actually 2 questions about assembling my 1967 scrambler swingarm.

The 2 rubber seals that go on the frame, the flange portion of those face out so they kind of wrap around the swingarm a bit when it's installed right?

Where do the dust seals go? Item 10 on my michrofiche calls for 3 which doesn't really make sense to me.

Brian

DJM
honda305.com Member

Rear fork assembly

Post by DJM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:00 am

Yes Brian, the rubber seals fit as you describe.

The dust seals (my parts book 'says' four which makes more sense) are the felt rings which fit into the grooves machined into the ends of the cast iron rear fork 'bushings'.

From memory, when I built mine they were a real PITA to get into place, unless you plan to do a lot of wet off road riding I think you could safely omit them. The two ends of the swinging arm already have seals on them anyway. Main thing is to grease it all thoroughly, making sure the grease passages are clear when you first assemble it and then to grease the two grease nipples (I think you guys call them 'zercs'?) on a regular basis.

big-b
honda305.com Member

Post by big-b » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 am

Thanks, that makes much more sense.

Brian

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Swingarm Assembly question

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:28 am

I don't install the felt but do use rubber "O" rings. ................lm
big-b wrote:Actually 2 questions about assembling my 1967 scrambler swingarm.

The 2 rubber seals that go on the frame, the flange portion of those face out so they kind of wrap around the swingarm a bit when it's installed right?

Where do the dust seals go? Item 10 on my michrofiche calls for 3 which doesn't really make sense to me.

Brian

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home