Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Steering stem lower nut (how tight)

big-b
honda305.com Member

Steering stem lower nut (how tight)

Post by big-b » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:42 pm

Is there a torque spec for the steering stem but that goes under the top triple tree, the one with the notches. Too tight and it doesn't turn very easy but I don't want it to be too loose either. Any helpful input would be appreciated.

B-

DJM
honda305.com Member

Steering head

Post by DJM » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:20 pm

You've almost answered your own question.

I've never seen a torque figure quoted or seen a tool that could apply it to that particular application.

You need to tighten the adjuster until it is JUST tight and then back it off a minimal amount.

Very slightly loose is better than very slightly tight, ideally when it's all together and the front wheel lifted clear of the ground the steering should fall from side to side under its own weight but anything more than barely discernable front to back movement on the forks is too much.

It's worth persevering to get it just right.

big-b
honda305.com Member

Post by big-b » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Cool thanks.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Steering stem torque

Post by DJM » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:19 am

Just to be clear, when I talk about the steering falling from side to side under its own weight, in case anyone is confused this is obviously WITHOUT the steering damper in place.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home