□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Introduction from new member

team roper
honda305.com Member

Post by team roper » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Thank you rusty wrench. I will be going over to that area in May to have a custom seat made for my Indian Scout. Possibly, I could schedule around the bike show time. Thanks again.

George

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 pm

Thanks again all, for the warm welcome. Lots of topics and questions I look forward to sharing and I’ll plan to post those in separate threads. Here is just a short one that maybe I can post here to get started:

Are the original gray-colored spark plug covers available anywhere (new, repro, used in classified ads)? My bike needs new plug wires, so thought I’d try to find the gray boot covers while I’m at it.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Spark plug covers.

Post by DJM » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

I may be wrong but I don't think the grey plug caps ever were a standard part, For a while Honda used a metal shrouded plug cap which caused all sorts of problems in damp weather.

The solution / recommendation was to strip of the metal shrouds off which then left a plain grey plug cap. I think some dealers may have even done this as part of the pre delivery set up on new bikes leading to the impression that the grey covers were actually OEM parts.

I'd welcome other's views to either confirm or contradict this.

I have an early C1961 Japanese printed CB72 brochure which clearly shows a black plug cap, a later c1964/65 shows the metal shrouded design, neither show a grey cap. No clue really when the shrouded type were introduced.

If you fancy fitting OEM metal shrouded caps they occasionally come up on E-Bay for silly money. You can buy an (almost) identical item from your Enfield India dealer for not much at all, the only difference id s the maker's name stamped into the metal.

I've used a pair of these on my CB77 for the past three years with no problems but, that said, I try not to ride it in wet weather!

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Thanks for the additional info. Now that you bring it up, I seem to remember those metal caps. I’ll probably stick with the black caps I have, since they work fine and fit the original look of the bike.

Glenn-N
honda305.com Member

Post by Glenn-N » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:49 pm

I tried finding the grey caps but they are rarely offered for sale in good condition.
Few months ago an OEM NOS pair was offered on eBay... Asking price about $100 for both.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CL77-OEM ... 7675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-C72-C77- ... Ec&vxp=mtr

These are no good either, they are grey if you remove the metal cover but the quality and finish of the grey plastic is poor.

I ended up using NGK LZFH (non resistor) caps for my CL77.
They look great and are cheap.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Shrouded plug caps.

Post by DJM » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Reference the metal shrouded ones listed on E-Bay, I don't recognise the 'Lighting Flash' logo or the initials TSTC from any Honda parts I've seen before. I'm not convinced that these are actually genuine OEM items despite the obvious Honda plastic bag. The listing doesn't actually SAY they are genuine parts although to me that is what is implied. The one 'genuine OEM?' I have is clearly marked Nippon Denso Made in Japan. The Enfield India ones are plain and unmarked.

The use of Black NGK ones seems a good choice, I think the black ones are none resistive (I.E. Unsurpressed) whereas the red ones are resistive and thus supressed, anyone care to confirm that?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home