Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Clutch friction plates - sources

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Clutch friction plates - sources

Post by the-chauffeur » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:34 pm

How do

After rebuilding most of the engines for the CL and CA77's, I'm at the point where I need some new friction plates, but they seem to be fairly scarce. I was hoping EBC would make 'em, but either they don't or I can't find the right numbers. What sources are worth checking out? Ideally they'd be in the UK, but as I'm finding, I may not have much of a choice . . .

. . . Dave Silvers don't list them, and CMS want something crazy like £25 per plate. With two bikes to buy for, that's closing in on £300. About the best aftermarket value I've found so far is Cruzin Image, who supply then in sets of 6 for a little over $25. Barnett's also seem to be out there, but like CMS, are sold in singles.

Hope that makes sense - and thanks in advance.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Replacement clutch plates.

Post by DJM » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Some might disagree but don't get to obsessed with using OEM CB77 replacement parts.

Clutch plates aren't exactly high tech items if you can find others of the correct size even if they don't have the 'correct' part numbers.
I've used plates from other Hondas, CB250/350 and CB500/4 I think but to be honest most have come from auto-jumbles or breakers so I'm not certain what they are from, main thing is they fit and work OK.

For new ones try www.wemoto.com, they have a huge range of plates, don't think for a minute that the CB72 series of bikes used unique plates, try sending wemoto a sample and see what they can offer. You'll find similar but thinner plates so may be able to squeeze in an extra pair of plates which can be no bad thing, I (PM me for more details) n short, look for alternatives.

GORDON BROWN
honda305.com Member

Clutch plates

Post by GORDON BROWN » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:11 pm

Hello,

As DJM has said the plates are the same dimensions as the CB250/350K etc. There are various different thickness's used in CB72/77's but this is not really a problem so long as there is enough height to avoid slip and enough clearance to stop drag. Both friction and "steels" are available in the UK, EBC brand and others. Try and find a local dealer with a Hi Level account as they can supply them and their catalogue gives dimensions to check.

Gordon

AlanW
honda305.com Member

Post by AlanW » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:10 am

Both of the boys are correct, a lot of plates fit. My nephew used to race a cart with a 250 Honda moto cross 2 stroke engine in it, guess what, the plates are the same.

Cheers Al.

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am

Thank you folks - I had a suspicion there wasn't going to be much in it between the years/bikes.

As I've said to DJM in a PM, I'm not interested in originality of consumables; I'm more concerned with having a working, functioning machine. If the 250/350K plates fit, so much the better. ANd point taken about the thickness . . .

Cheers

DJM
honda305.com Member

Clutch plates

Post by DJM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:44 am

I've just read that XL350 plates fit too.

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 am

Ah - now that's one theory I can test. I'm in the process of rebuilding an XL350 K0 and I've just had a set of plates come in. I'll give them a try and report back . . .

P.S. Thanks for the e-mail DM - that's very kind. I'll get back to you very soon.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home