Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Kickstarter questions

AZscrmblr
honda305.com Member

Kickstarter questions

Post by AZscrmblr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:14 pm

I have a 64 CL72 and I want to verify that I have the kickstarter lever installed in the correct position. I searched this forum and found where Loud Mouse stated:

"11:00 is the recommended angle and the lever will contact the foot peg and stop.
When the angle is 12:00 or 1:00 the lever is stopped by the far end of the shaft contacting the Kick Starter Stopper Bolt.
This applies more pressure than one might imagine and will either split the Kick Starter Joint or twist the end off the Kick Shaft over time."

I have mine installed in the 11:00 position. When I look at it, the only way the lever will contact the foot peg and stop is if it is pushed all the way to the 6:00 position. Am I seeing this correctly? I don't believe I ever kick it this far when starting the bike.
Also, when the lever is installed at 12:00 or 1:00 where is the kick starter stopper bolt that the far end of the shaft contacts?
I plan to remove the passenger foot peg because it sometimes interferes with my foot when starting the bike and want to make sure that it is not the foot peg referred to in Loud Mouse's quote.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: Kickstarter questions

Post by DJM » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:53 pm

Attached image is taken from a period road test from 1965 of what would certainly have been a 'new' IE not messed with bike. Hard to see clearly but if you look close the kick start arm is at the 11 o' clock position as specified by LM.
That's about where mine is and it works fine, one 'notch' lower and you don't seem to get the full swing on the kicksart lever, one higher, and for me at least it's hard to get my foot high enough to reach it!
11 o'clock high should be fine.
KSP.JPG
KSP.JPG (32.62 KiB) Viewed 4232 times

AZscrmblr
honda305.com Member

Post by AZscrmblr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:43 am

Thanks DJM
So to complete my question, the kick lever will only contact the foot peg when it is in the 6:00 position? Other than that, there is no stop for the kick lever.
Does anyone know what the kick starter stopper bolt is that LM referred to is? Is it internal to the transmission case?

DJM
honda305.com Member

Post by DJM » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:25 am

Yes, the kick start stopper bolt is in the LH crankcase lower half and actually acts as the stopper when the kickstart is returned by spring tension to it's home position, at that point the stopper bolt disengages the ratchet mechanism and allows the gearbox to rotate normally without the kickstart.

I suppose that the footrest would act as a 'stop' to limit the travel of the kickstart lever at the six o'clock position but I don't think you'd normally kick it down and then round to reach that point, it's certainly never been an issue on my bike.

I'm sure if you put your kickstart lever on in the position shown on the image it will work just fine.

AZscrmblr
honda305.com Member

Post by AZscrmblr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:48 pm

DJM - Once again thanks for the clarification.

gbyoung2
honda305.com Member

Post by gbyoung2 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:51 am

"I plan to remove the passenger foot peg because it sometimes interferes with my foot when starting the bike and want to make sure that it is not the foot peg referred to in Loud Mouse's quote."

Old thread; just got back on here.
My ’67 CL77 “kit bike” was missing the rear pillion foot peg assemblies, so I had to piece mine together with parts sourced from CMS and a couple of other places. I also had to make my own rectangular metal pieces that rode on the step arms because they weren’t available at the time.
After assembly, I too also had a problem with the RH peg wanting to lean out a little and I would occasionally catch it with the heel of my boot or pants cuff. To fix that issue, I welded a nub on the top of each arm “cam” so when that rectangular metal peg piece went over the top, it would keep the step in just past the vertical position. Those arm nubs kept the peg body from leaning outward and getting in the way.
Description is not the best, and my apologies for that. I had taken a few pix to show what I’d done but couldn’t find them, so shot them again.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home