□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Speedometer Question

Engineer1
honda305.com Member

Post by Engineer1 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks to all responders thus far--especially for the pix from G. I got the speedometer apart OK, but found no foreign matter in it. Spinning the cup produces some faint vibration--I think maybe the bearing is dry. Could it be that bearing drag is winding up the cable and then when cable torque overcomes friction, the cable unwinds quickly, causing an overspeed reading? What is the recommended lubricant for the input shaft? It would need to be something that lasts a long time so I don't have to get into the unit frequently. Thanks in advance!
Engineer1

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:26 am

Engineer1

The dry input shaft problem usually produces a fluctuating reading rather than a steady one. The cable winds up agains the friction then unwinds rapidly. Have a look at the spring. Is it damaged or weakened in any way?

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Engineer1
honda305.com Member

CL77 Speedometer Question

Post by Engineer1 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:35 am

All,
After disassembling the speedometer I performed the following steps:
1) lubricated all moving parts except the needle shaft (didn't want to mess up the damping)
2) inspected the spring--found both ends firmly anchored, no distortion or foreign matter
3) blew out the drive cup with compressed air, taking care not to blow directly on the spring
4) lubricated the input shaft with mineral oil, then chased the oil with some WD-40 to help it
wick into the bearing.
5) reassembled and installed the unit and went for a test drive. It worked normally!
Hypotheses for causes of abnormally high speed readings:
1) Dry input shaft bearing caused vibration that distorted the spring or caused the cup to lightly contact the driven part on the needle shaft.
2) Foreign matter in drive cup dragged needle higher than normal (but I never did see any foreign matter.)
Those are my best guesses, but I may never know for sure what the cause really was. Anyhow, the fix appeared to be "clean and lubricate." Thanks again to all responders. Hope this helps someone else.

RobCL72
honda305.com Member

CL72/77 Speedo Bezel Re-install / Lip >>>>>

Post by RobCL72 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm

I have taken my CL72 speedo apart to repair. Now that I have the proble solved....How can I roll the bezel lip back to it's original bend and look!

I know that it will not be visible one re-installed, but I would like to do it properly. My Sister who is a metalsmith may have a tool/press that she can re-roll the lip with....Maybe.

Waht have YOU done to re-install the bezel so it looks decent?

Thanks,

Rob - Boston

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: CL72/77 Speedo Bezel Re-install / Lip >>>>&g

Post by G-Man » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:58 am

I just push mine back into place using a flat screwdriver. It's always going to be a bit crinkly unless you can build some sort of roller-swaging tool.

To do it well you would probably need to strip and aneal the bezel then re-chrome it before swaging it back into place.

G

RobCL72 wrote:I have taken my CL72 speedo apart to repair. Now that I have the proble solved....How can I roll the bezel lip back to it's original bend and look!

I know that it will not be visible one re-installed, but I would like to do it properly. My Sister who is a metalsmith may have a tool/press that she can re-roll the lip with....Maybe.

Waht have YOU done to re-install the bezel so it looks decent?

Thanks,

Rob - Boston
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

gbyoung2
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Speedometer Question

Post by gbyoung2 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:40 pm

I just acquired a 14K mile ’67 CL77 that is in fairly decent shape, but am going through it correcting some PO induced issues and other “warts” as I find them. Have a question on the speedo, more specifically, what secures the speedo in the headlamp nacelle?

The original packing ring was gone, and one of the previous owners (I am the third) kluged up a mount with some glue and electrical tape. I got all that stuff cleaned off and got a new (repro) packing gasket to mount the unit. The packing fits fine in the nacelle, and the speedo slips into it okay as well – but – the speedo is loose and can move up and down, or even rotate fairly easily.

So, what holds this thing in place??

TIA

DJM
honda305.com Member

Re: CL77 Speedometer Question

Post by DJM » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:18 pm

The rubber mount needs to be bonded the the case of the speedometer, any half decent adhesive should do the job.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home