Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Couple of questions regarding my CA77

teufelziege
honda305.com Member

Couple of questions regarding my CA77

Post by teufelziege » Tue May 18, 2010 1:35 am

So, I posted some stuff about my carbs. I got some good info, but had a few more misc. things to ask!

1. My ebay speedo, which bench tested fine, started bouncing upon use then made a terrific whinning/grinding sound and now bounces wildly between 0-100mph. I assume somethings busted. Since it's probably toast, I was thinking of cracking it open to see what happened and if anything can be fixed. Are these serviceable? Am I wasting my time?

2. I have quite a bit of oil coming from the top breather tube. Since I am not a mechanic, this brings me a great deal of worry. I also have some light smoke upon starting out of the left cylinder, but clears away with heavy riding. When I park it and keep the engine running, it starts to smoke some more out of that cylinder. Common causes? I know blown head gasket, broken ring, worn valve guide, and I'll look. Just wanted some feedback regarding possible relationship to that smokin left cylinder.

3. Bike is difficult to shift into 2nd gear from first. All other combinations are good, including down shifting from 2nd into 1st. I often go to put it into 2nd, and it falls into neutral. If I use the heel shift and give it a good stomp, it'll go in. One time I did that and my kick starter clanked. That didn't seem right. Ideas?

Thanks guys!

Thomas L.
1963 Honda Dream - CA77

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Tue May 18, 2010 2:56 am

Hi,

About the oil and smoke. Is your bike on the side stand when smoking while idling ?
When on the side stand the left side of the engine is lower then the right side, if the oil is picked up by the crank it will smoke becuse of the oil on the cylinder wall, in combination with not too good piston rings. Is your oil level to high ?

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Jumping Speedo

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue May 18, 2010 6:26 am

Check the speedo cable; it might not be screwed in/fastened all the way at either the speedo connection, or where it goes into the front wheel.

(2) You might be somehow getting gas onto your oil; gas in oil will produce a bunch of white smoke (black smoke usually means oil is burning, i.e getting past the rings...and that's a whole 'nother problem...) that does have a tendency to go away when the engine gets hot, or at least it does on my Yamaha Virago when I forget and leave the petcock in Prime, causing the gas to overspill into the vacuum tube. Change the oil and clean out/change the oil filter...and yes, I know these bikes, at least my CA77, does not have a paper oil filter per se...but it might help. Gas in the oil is not good because it thins out the oil and increases wear on all those expensive parts in the crankcase...also be sure to look at the oil when you change it and make sure there's not bits of metal in there...that could be bad...

(3) Hard shifting might be oil, again...some bikes don't like the newer 'slipperier' oil (usually synthetic) that some newer bikes require and some people add for 'performance'...it messes with the clutch and shifter forks because it's TOO slick...I run Castrol 10W-30 in my other bikes, because that's what the manual calls for... OR, it MAY be because that shifter fork is worn, I don't know...

Just my two cents....

-John
1964 CA77
1978 CX500
1981 XV750
1982XV750
1985 XV700

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Re: Couple of questions regarding my CA77

Post by brewsky » Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am

teufelziege wrote:So, I posted some stuff about my carbs. I got some good info, but had a few more misc. things to ask!

1. My ebay speedo, which bench tested fine, started bouncing upon use then made a terrific whinning/grinding sound and now bounces wildly between 0-100mph. I assume somethings busted. Since it's probably toast, I was thinking of cracking it open to see what happened and if anything can be fixed. Are these serviceable? Am I wasting my time?

Thomas L.
1963 Honda Dream - CA77
You can dis-assemble, clean and re-lube the internals and that should fix the problem if it's not in the cable itself.
There are several posts available on the subject which should help if you search "speedometer"
I believe G-Man has some good pics showing the process.
Be careful if you try to remove the needle, it is pressed on and pretty fragile. I didn't remove mine, just soaked the the gears in a cup of gas overnight, suspended to keep the face of the speedo out of the gas. (Remove the odometer first) Then cleaned with carb cleaner and lubed with light oil.
Solvent will remove the luminescense from the speedo face, so be careful there also.
The hardest job is removing the bezel without damaging it, just go slow and easy.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

rustywrench
honda305.com Member

speedo

Post by rustywrench » Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 am

Tz,
I've had to deal with the same issue on my cl speedos a couple times. I'm not sure about opening a dream speedo but it may be a similar process. The lower bearing gets gunked up over the years and dry. So I found a thread done by G man on how to open my speedo and what to do once in there. Once apart, spray carb/brake cleaner into the bearing until it runs clean again. Blow dry and lube it. I used a light oil I use in fishing reels. then re-assemble and you're good to go. Nothing too complicated in there to worry about. Good luck. RW
Looks like Brewski beat me to the send button. Slow fingers,,,,,,,,,,RW

teufelziege
honda305.com Member

Post by teufelziege » Wed May 19, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks for the help!

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home