Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Wisco JB 2 Battery replacement

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Wisco JB 2 Battery replacement

Post by Kigsby » Sat May 25, 2013 7:35 pm

I think my battery needs replacing in my 1962 CA 77. I can get it charged up to 13 volts, but when I try to start the bike it just slowly dies. After two attempts to start the bike, the voltage dropped from 13 down to 11. It's pretty old so I'm going to splurge on a new one anyway. I was looking on ebay and found a couple but two questions - Is there a better alternative for an early Dream and if not, what are the JB 2's filled with? Acid or distilled water? Thanks for your help!

conbs
honda305.com Member

Early Honda battery

Post by conbs » Sun May 26, 2013 12:48 am

Kigsby,

You might try de-sulfating your battery before you give up on it. I did it and really woke up a pretty tired battery.

Your battery is a lead acid battery, people usually add distilled water when it is low, but there is a way to check the specific gravity of the liquid to see if needs more acid.

If you search this site, G-man put up a post with a link showing a guy in England that modified his battery hold down to fit a taller, stronger battery in an early bike. Fits under the cover fine and gives a good bit more cranking power. The battery supply is plentiful as well.

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Sun May 26, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for your help. I don't know much about these kind of batteries. I've only used the sealed kind. Is there a specific type of acid to use? Auto zone sells a quart of motorcycle acid but I'm not sure if I need a certain kind.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Battery Acid

Post by conbs » Sun May 26, 2013 10:19 am

What Autozone has is the right acid. Sulfuric, I think. The test has to do with specific gravity of the liquid. You may want to swing by a battery vendor's shop and have them check it out for you.

cadman
honda305.com Member

Post by cadman » Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am

Your battery is dead. Get a new one. Adding acid will not help. Adding water can help but it is too late. Once a battery sulfates from sitting or low water level it is to late.

Kigsby
honda305.com Member

Post by Kigsby » Sun May 26, 2013 10:58 am

I think I'm gonna splurge and just get a new Wisco and some acid at Auto zone. If anyone wants a free dead Wisco.....let me know! Thanks all for you help.

conbs
honda305.com Member

Reconditioned Batteries

Post by conbs » Sun May 26, 2013 2:46 pm

There is a whole industry in this country that takes "dead" batteries and "reconditions" them. As I understand it, the lead and acid in a battery is sufficient to last 20 years. No matter where you live, there is probably one of these companies not far from you.

Cadman, I used the de-sulfate function on my battery charger and it put life back in my battery. I will try it again when it gets weak and let you know if it brings it back a second time. I wouldn't have suggested it if I hadn't experienced success with it.

There are only so many of the early batteries around. I think it behooves the Dream community to get as much use out of the ones we have as is reasonably possible, hence my suggestion.

Kigsby, I hope you get your battery issues worked out soon, no matter what way you go.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home