□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Trying to get the Dream ready

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 am

48lesco wrote:Guess it depends on your definition of "snap." Another thing that hangs them up a bit is an OEM grip on that side. It goes over the lip on the switch assy. and can drag a little. With an aftermarket grip that doesn't touch the switch, it can be more snappier.
Lets not forget the slide in the carb can be gummed up too I found mine sticking some did some cleaning and now the slide drops on its own weight.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:12 pm

No doubt about that, even just a small amount on the slide can cause it to stick as I've found out before.

In my previously reply, I hit the nail on the head about jinxing myself with stuck fasteners. Well, almost. I'd forgotten the note I had during disassembly, about missing the bolt on the left exhaust (that goes into the case), and when I went to put it back on last night, I found what was left of it in the case hole. This morning, after about an hour with heat & Freeze Off, left hand drills and a screw extractor, it finally came out!

I had an extra exhaust bolt, but from what I can tell, they are different part numbers on the left and right, and the one that I put in this morning appears to be a bit long? It's not going in (easily) all the way, and I don't want to force it. I slipped a spacer over it for now, and both pipes are in place at the moment.

It's never as easy as it is supposed to be, but then I guess that's part of the fun. Right?

Donovan303
honda305.com Member

Another NC Rider

Post by Donovan303 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:45 am

I am also located in NC. I ride up to Asheville a couple times a year, great roads up that way.

I have 2 Dreams, a '64 and a '67. Both are for sale. I bought 3 non-runners thinking I could make one good bike, but it turned out there was enough for 2 if I sunk a little money in. Both needed transmission work and drive chains and one was completely in pieces. It really helps to have another bike to look at for reference.

Anyway, they are both running and roadworthy now and I've put a couple hundred miles on each one. They are far from perfect but pretty fun little bikes.

If I make it to Asheville before they sell maybe we can ride.

Cheers,
Donovan

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 am

Sounds like that worked out well, getting two runners instead of just one. I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers did not give any thought to the idea that these affordable bikes would still be around (and driving) some 40 odd years later, so it's it's a real nod to the spirit and ingenuity of the people who not only make it happen, but seem to enjoy it as well. If you don't sell them before the warmer weather hits (not sure when that'll be, like most places, it was below zero here yesterday!), drop me a line, and we'll ride.

I've got some electrical work to tweak, as well as the previously mentioned throttle issue to settle, and I'll be close. The tank is fairly clean, nothing an inline filter shouldn't make me feel good about. It doesn't have a petcock on it, although I've got one from a spare tank. I've not taken one apart before, and some of what I've read makes me a little nervous, but there seems to be some affordable rebuild kits that I think it would benefit from.

Stay warm

peter4821
honda305.com Member

Post by peter4821 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

petcock rebuild is very simple to do. Just clean everything really well before u put it back together .

peter4821
honda305.com Member

Post by peter4821 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:26 am

petcock rebuild is very simple to do. Just clean everything really well before u put it back together .

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Made a little progress over the last week, (although, as of this writing, more gremlins were identified...)
I was able to remove 2 of the 3 screws holding the body of the petcock on, the third one had other ideas. Somewhat gentle impact driver, PB, heat soak, repeat. 3 days later it complied. A complete cleaning and reassembly, and no leaks! Of course, I assume I've tightened it so much to the tank, that the slide lever takes two hand to move. Put it on the list. But with gas and oil ready, new plugs and the battery charged, it was time to finally hit the button. The good news was that the starter motor spun (I was told it might not work), but the engine never fired - no spark. After an exhausting 3 hours of checking everything I (and a friend) could think of, we finally, and accidentally located a bad ground, where the wire from the condenser was just touching the points plate. I am not all that talented when it comes to mechanics, but when it comes to electrical...forget it. Fixed the ground issue, and she fired right up! Pics of the nasty petcock, and one of the bike after it was finally started.
Attachments
That stubborn 3rd screw
That stubborn 3rd screw
DSCN1130.JPG (407.42 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
DSCN1132.JPG
DSCN1132.JPG (430.16 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
DSCN1141.JPG
DSCN1141.JPG (502.04 KiB) Viewed 2886 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home