Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Paint job ?

conbs
honda305.com Member

Primer

Post by conbs » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:11 pm

JT,

I am a little late to the party (again) and I don't know where you are on your painting project. mike gives good suggestions about how to get that stubborn paint off. Red will bleed. Unless it is in an inconspicuous place you want it off.

You are doing things the right way in my estimation and you can end up with a VERY nice paint job. you will be happy that you took the little extra time if you do.

Look on the Eastwood site. They have a very good video about the different kinds of primers. The amount of sanding needed will depend on what kind of primer you apply.

keep us informed on how things are going.
Last edited by conbs on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm

Just a little bit more on the primer and sanding issue. The top coat paint will be much thinner than primer so the priming stage is where you achieve the finish that you need. Primer is thicker and cheaper so it is best to spend your time and effort at that stage.

The means that whatever imperfections you see at the final priming stage will be what you see in the final result.

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:15 pm

G-Man wrote:Just a little bit more on the primer and sanding issue. The top coat paint will be much thinner than primer so the priming stage is where you achieve the finish that you need. Primer is thicker and cheaper so it is best to spend your time and effort at that stage.

The means that whatever imperfections you see at the final priming stage will be what you see in the final result.

G
So true!
Primer is the best!
My bike in the sig file is done with Krylon it has won in contest won't now as I ride it all of the time. I also have a CT90 done with osha orange. It looks good.
Point is prep the bike for a paint job with primer and and a guide coat. "guide coat is spray a mist of black paint on when you sand you will see the low spots or runs in the primer and spend the time to get the dents out. I will say one thing the shaker can paints are not going to hold up as good as a Dupont spray paint. Just saying from the last 10 years of a 1964 Dream painted with Krylon. But it can be done.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home