□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream runs then stalls 3 minutes down the road, wait

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:28 pm

FWIW, I had the very same problem very recently with one of my other bikes; turns out the fuel line was kinked - just enough seepage to fill the bowl, then konked out on me 10 miles down the road; I made sure the line was UN-kinked going into the carbs, and then put 55 miles on her...although paperslammer's advice is good, too - make sure Everything is cleaned out well...

Bob750
honda305.com Member

Post by Bob750 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Late to this thread, but wanted to add an identical scenario that happened to me, in case it helps someone else out later.

Bike would run for a while then die. But if left sitting with the fuel on would begin pissing fuel out the bowl overflow. Decided to take the carb off and found two things:

1. The float was perforated from age. Ordered a new one.
2. This bike had sat for a while before we bought it... There was a wad of some crap that looked like an old spider egg sac or a tiny hairball that had become suctioned to the top of the float valve, so that even with a sunk float and thus a permanently open float valve, (hence the fuel puddle under the bike), the engine was starving because at higher revs the fuel couldn't be delivered fast enough due to the clog.

So both things were ping-ponging and confounding me. "Can't be clogged; it's leaking fuel all the time!" Sometimes it's not mis-adjusted at all; there's just crap in the line!
Mine: '74 CB750 K4 -- Hers: '64 CA78
Had: '75 CB550 K, '79 CT90

salukispeed
honda305.com Member

Post by salukispeed » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:23 pm

I had a similar situation a few years back. The petcock rubber and cork pieces were swollen and had become nearly completely plugged, the passage was so small it would not pass enough fuel to keep up with the need. I bought a rebuild kit and carefully rebuilt it and alls well. You can remove the line and see if it flows well or even see that it flows freely from the fuel bowl drain for more than a minute. Be careful that you don't spill the fuel all over and create a fire issue.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home