Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

back to work on the CA77

Susan
honda305.com Member

back to work on the CA77

Post by Susan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:12 am

My Dream is pretty rough, and didn't get any love this winter - it was a particularly cold one here in DC.

I am trying to get some stuff together to get her on the road, with any luck in a few weeks. Tank needs draining, carb rebuild, find a fix for the dead sealed beam headlight, and hopefully sort out the sticky clutch cable. With any luck that will get me riding at least for a little while. Many more things want attention, but I am hoping those things can wait a little while.

I understand that there is a way to remove the bulb from the sealed beam with a dremel and replace it. I couldn't find anything in the search, but if anyone knows about this, I would be much obliged.

I have a feeling that good use of the search will answer most of my questions as they come up, so I'll try not to be too repetitive.

mike69
honda305.com Member

dream

Post by mike69 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi Susan, When I removed the bulb from my sealed beam I got a small cutoff wheel for my Dremel tool..I cut the part of the bulb sticking out completely off, leaving about an eigth of an inch. After I cut it completely off, the rest of the bulb is still inside the sealed beam. I then took a screw driver and broke the inside bulb into several small pieces and then turned the bulb upside down and shook the broken pieces out. Hope this helps.
66 Dream
78 Goldwing

Susan
honda305.com Member

Re: dream

Post by Susan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:23 am

mike69 wrote:Hi Susan, When I removed the bulb from my sealed beam I got a small cutoff wheel for my Dremel tool..I cut the part of the bulb sticking out completely off, leaving about an eigth of an inch. After I cut it completely off, the rest of the bulb is still inside the sealed beam. I then took a screw driver and broke the inside bulb into several small pieces and then turned the bulb upside down and shook the broken pieces out. Hope this helps.
That sounds fairly straightforward, thanks.

Dumb question maybe - if you had to break the bulb to get it out, how did you get another one in? And will it be fairly apparent from the removal process what type of bulb one needs to do the replacement?

mike69
honda305.com Member

dream

Post by mike69 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:00 pm

You can replace the the bulb with a new modern halogen motorcycle bulb. I don't remember what model no.
I put mine in a few years ago,I don't recall which one I used.
Someone here can probably tell what type to use. I think there was an earlier post here on that subject.
I used epoxy to install mine.
66 Dream
78 Goldwing

clarenceada
honda305.com Member

Post by clarenceada » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:40 pm

I did this a few years ago with my '68 dream and then I epoxied a light socket from a kawasaki (only then I had at the time) 3 wheeler but when I put the bulb in it was too far back in the reflector case and the focal length was wrong and it focused about 10 feet in front of the bike and was no use on the road. I used it in the day time (Oregon day time light law) just didn't ride at night. Still looking for a replacement.
Clarence

Susan
honda305.com Member

Post by Susan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Good input on the headlight, thanks very much.

The wiring in the headset is a complete mess, bleh. I was going to remove the old sealed beam and then got sidetracked and ran out of daylight. So the headlight is going to have to be next week's project.

In the meantime I was going to do some carb work. Found the fuel line full of dryrot. All cracked up. So I'm going to need some more of that. I wonder if fuel line is fuel line is fuel line and I can use the same kind as I do on my old scooters?

gramey7
honda305.com Member

Post by gramey7 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:47 am

I'm now using clear fuel tubing on my Scrambler as the last couple of "stock" black lines I've bought have developed cracks within a short time. I wonder if it was just real old OEM line or the ethanol in today's fuel is causing it.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home