Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

I don't know what I have

GILLIS
honda305.com Member

I don't know what I have

Post by GILLIS » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:06 pm

Hello,<br /><br />I am on a quest to restore my late husband's Honda Dream. <br /><br />But I don't know what I have. I am out of my area of understanding here. A real fish out of water. But I want to learn.<br /><br />I am told that this bike is in good condtion and that at least 90% of the original parts are there.<br /><br />What I need is knowing what year it is? [I don't have a title.. he came to Wyoming with it from Indiana - owned it in High school..all those records are purged after 10 years.. so I am just starting to investigate what to do about that.. at any rate)<br /><br />All I have is the serial number off the bike [CA 77E -1012579]. It's still has it's orginal white paint job.. just a little rust along some edges and two small dents near the front wheel.. sorry I am sure there is a technical name for that part of the bike but I don't know what it is.<br /><br />So as you can see, I need some help.<br /><br />Is there a book that can tell me about my bike, history, year, part names etc.. like the &quot;Honda Dream Book for Dummies&quot;? ;-) .. and oh.. where to get the parts. Missing tail light and the round emblem for the left side. I think thats all that's missing.<br /><br />Are white ones a bit rare?<br /><br />Rennovated - what is this bike going to be worth?<br /><br />It did run by the way.. but it hasn't been started in maybe 8 or more years. So I know I got to get someone to get it running first and then some parts replaced.<br /><br />Thanks so much for any help you can offer.. and hey if you are someone living in Wyoming.. all the better. - Gillis<br /><br />

speleogeezer
honda305.com Member

Re: I don't know what I have

Post by speleogeezer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:39 pm

Gillis,<br /> Sounds like you have a dream like mine. My engine # is <br />CA77E 102480 and the frame # is CA78 102454. Mine is a 1964. Yours may be earlier 64 or 63. First get a service manual. Then parts. I'll get back to you on these later. I need to figure out where I got mine. Take your time. This will be a labor of love you will not realize until you take the first ride on these wonderfull machines. They run great on the highway and ai think I;m getting around 70 mpg. I havent done a proper calculation yet---too busy enjoying it. Let me get back to you asap with more specific info--hopefully someone else more knowledgable will step in. I could not have done anything without this forum. Later with manuals and parts info. <br /> <br /> Bob (speleogeezer)

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:02 am

Gillis<br />Have faith my bike sat for 30+years and started with less then a days work and I was ridding it within a week! Find a mentor even it it is via the Internet. Be careful there are a few screwballs out there. Also do you have someone that knows a little about motors? I hate to sound sexist but a son, brother... The guys on the forum will help but there is only so much we can do online.<br />Bob take a look at Gillis’s Motor number again please their are 7 digits not 6 as is in yours. That means it would be a 65 or later. My guess is 66. <br />Gillis check the wiring just above the carburetor look for a white tag If the bike is original that tag will give you a hint of the year...Please let us know what you find. Do you have pictures?<br /><br />As I have said these are a great bunch of guys <br /><br />If I can be of help just let me know Feel free to Email me.<br /><br />Best of luck Rob <br />
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

GILLIS
honda305.com Member

Post by GILLIS » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:23 am

speleogeezer wrote:<br />Gillis,<br /> Sounds like you have a dream like mine. My engine # is <br />CA77E 102480 and the frame # is CA78 102454. Mine is a 1964. Yours may be earlier 64 or 63. First get a service manual. Then parts. I'll get back to you on these later. I need to figure out where I got mine. Take your time. This will be a labor of love you will not realize until you take the first ride on these wonderfull machines. They run great on the highway and ai think I;m getting around 70 mpg. I havent done a proper calculation yet---too busy enjoying it. Let me get back to you asap with more specific info--hopefully someone else more knowledgable will step in. I could not have done anything without this forum. Later with manuals and parts info. <br /> <br /> Bob (speleogeezer) <br />
<br /><br />Bob,<br /><br />I honestly don't know if I can ride this bike... I have never driven a motorcycle before.. so I am a bit nervous about that. I will most diffinately post some pictures here as soon as I buy my new digital camera which I plan to do later today. There is a local guy coming by tomorrow to look the bike over. He may be able to help..but he does this for a living, been at it for over 30 years.. I don't know.. I don't want to be taken advantage of.. so I want to educate myself on this and be a part of the project.. If he is willing to include me I may hire him..if not..I willl find someone else. Thanks Bob for your encouragement. - Gillis

mikescottt
honda305.com Member

Post by mikescottt » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:24 am

Its a 65 or newer 305 Honda Dream. Bill Silvers has a CD out called Bill Silvers Honda 250-305cc Twins Books. It will help pin the year down and has alot of good info on the Dream. EBay is a great place to buy parts. I have seen tail light assembies for sale many times. Ohiocycle is a good place for parts. PH. # 440-697-2357. Is it worth restoring? To me my Dream is a labor of love. If you go on EBay to motorcycles for sale, Honda Dream, and watch it for a rew months you can get a feel for what they sell for. On EBay go to Motorcycles parts, Honda Dream and you will find your tail light and over time just about any part you need.

GILLIS
honda305.com Member

Post by GILLIS » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:26 am

Pigeonalley wrote:<br />Gillis<br />Have faith my bike sat for 30+years and started with less then a days work and I was ridding it within a week! Find a mentor even it it is via the Internet. Be careful there are a few screwballs out there. Also do you have someone that knows a little about motors? I hate to sound sexist but a son, brother... The guys on the forum will help but there is only so much we can do online.<br />Bob take a look at Gillis’s Motor number again please their are 7 digits not 6 as is in yours. That means it would be a 65 or later. My guess is 66. <br />Gillis check the wiring just above the carburetor look for a white tag If the bike is original that tag will give you a hint of the year...Please let us know what you find. Do you have pictures?<br /><br />As I have said these are a great bunch of guys <br /><br />If I can be of help just let me know Feel free to Email me.<br /><br />Best of luck Rob <br /><br />
<br /><br />It sounds like I may have a couple of &quot;mentors&quot; here already in you and Bob. The Lord sure does take care of me when I step out and do these things. Sometimes I think have a couple of guardian angels that suddenly are stirred awake and told to put on crash helmets because Gillis is on another adventure and she is going to need extra watchin' ..ha! Thanks Rob for your help. I will get pictures on and keep you all informed. Thanks - Gillis

Pigeonalley
honda305.com Member

Post by Pigeonalley » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:15 am

Gillis,<br /> Thank you for the kind words.. I think what you are doing is fantastic. It takes guts to enter into and adventure that is this foreign to you! <br /> As for being afraid to ride that is common. My girl friend was. She had a CDL for 17 years (over 5 million logged miles) and couldn’t figure how you could shift with your foot! Many of the Community Collages down here in Texas offer a course to learn to ride safely. They even supply the bikes to learn on. Check in your area there may be something similar. I would recommend them to everyone. <br /><br />We are all pulling for you!<br />Rob<br />
Old bikes like old men, sometimes you have to kick start them

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home