Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

crankshaft oil seal frustrations

greg78gs750
honda305.com Member

crankshaft oil seal frustrations

Post by greg78gs750 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:58 pm

hi all,

well, i am pretty pi**ed and frustrated. the crankshaft oil seal on my ca77 trans case keeps moving on me. i am rebuilding the engine, trans rebuild and everything. it took me 3 tries to get the seal to stay put, and it did, for a couple weeks while i am waiting on a few doodads to reassemble the top end, but when i went down to the basement today, i noticed the f***er has slipped from its mooring again. i have been gluing it in with a "light" coat of sealer per the silver manual. i know it is possible to replace these without splitting the cases, but on these big guys it sure is easier to do it with them apart.

do i try to do this without splitting things again? coat of oil on the seal to slip it in? i find it hard to believe that seal is gonna stay put with oil if it wont with the case sealer.

also, when the starter sprocket/rotor is installed, will that help hold that seal in? cause i REALLY dont want to get her running and have that big ol' seal pop out on me....

i am open to suggestions, i am so close to having this thing back together.

thanks in advance for any advice....

greg

davomoto
honda305.com Member

Post by davomoto » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Greg, is the surface that the seal sits on nice and smooth, no lip on the outside etc? I always apply a light coat of Honda Bond before installing, but have heard others say that it can cause the seal to slip out. Yoy may want to install it dry. Find a piece of pipe, or socket large enough to smack it in squarely, no need to split the cases.
davomoto
64 CB77
63-7 CB77 Cafe'
67 CL77
64 CL72
66 CL77 big bore flat tracker
Many others!

greg78gs750
honda305.com Member

Post by greg78gs750 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:45 pm

the bore seems to be in good shape. i have been coating it with a tiny bit of hondabond, but i will give it a go dry. it slipped twice, so i held it in place with a clamp arrangement this time to let the hondabond dry for a couple days, and like i said, all was good till i looked at it today and it was out. ugh. deep breath, in, out, relax, assembling japanese motorcycle requires great peace of mind......

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home