Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Dream runs then stalls 3 minutes down the road, wait

skampdaddy
honda305.com Member

Dream runs then stalls 3 minutes down the road, wait

Post by skampdaddy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:30 am

My dream runs great until you get a mile or so down the road and then it stalls. I wait a few minutes and then it starts right back up and does it again another mile down the road. I have let it idle for 15 minutes and it does not do this?? It almost seems like it is running the bowl dry but the bowl is full everytime I check. Has anybody else had a simular problem??

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 am

Hi,

Yes, I did, many years ago, but I don't think this is much of help.
It turned out that the mufflers were clogged with carbon so badly that the volume of gases couldn't go trough the mufflers.

At higher revs the engine stalled, and after a few minutes it would run again, but stalling again when run fast.

Idling was no problem,

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Dream runs then stalls 3 minutes down the road, wait

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:07 am

Next time as the engine stalls and you are still moving open the tank cap and see if the engine stalls.
..............lm
skampdaddy wrote:My dream runs great until you get a mile or so down the road and then it stalls. I wait a few minutes and then it starts right back up and does it again another mile down the road. I have let it idle for 15 minutes and it does not do this?? It almost seems like it is running the bowl dry but the bowl is full everytime I check. Has anybody else had a simular problem??

kirbb9
honda305.com Member

Post by kirbb9 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Hey, I just went thru the same situation on my 300 dream. First issue is the float set wrong allowing it to run out of fuel after a mile or so. Also found the petcock would not flow enough fuel in the on position. I haven't checked the petcock yet but by running in the reserve position it cured the problem. Hope this helps some.

Brady
66 CA77
2 GL's
ST 1300

paperslammer
honda305.com Member

Post by paperslammer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:12 pm

kirbb9 wrote:Hey, I just went thru the same situation on my 300 dream. First issue is the float set wrong allowing it to run out of fuel after a mile or so. Also found the petcock would not flow enough fuel in the on position. I haven't checked the petcock yet but by running in the reserve position it cured the problem. Hope this helps some.

Brady
If your gas tank is full and running in reserve makes a difference, then this means you have a clogged petcock. The petcock taken apart looks like

and by switching to reserve you are using the smaller of the 2 tubes from #3 in the picture. Nothing crazy. So you should probably clean your petcock out, or refuel your tank...
'64 CA77 305 Dream

kirbb9
honda305.com Member

Post by kirbb9 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks for the info paperslammer, I will keep it handy. It's too hot to work on one now and I'm enjoying riding too much anyway! Future Project!
66 CA77
2 GL's
ST 1300

houseowax
honda305.com Member

Post by houseowax » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:12 am

I had fuel delivery issues after a petcock rebuild. I opened it up and replaced the rubber packing (#1 in Slammer's pic) with the cork and it took care of it immediately. Seems that the rubber might've bound, constricting the holes. If you have a rebuild kit and it has both cork and rubber, try the cork packing.
'63 CA77 - Giving me all kinds of headaches.
'64 CA77 - Patiently waiting it's turn
'65 CB77 - A 'great winter project'

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home