□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

What have I missed

djbarcy
honda305.com Member

Post by djbarcy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 am

Interesting, although it started and ran for a bit a few days ago and had strong spark at plugs now I have no fire through the plug cables. Points are good and no fire there either. I would appreciate your input.
Dan Barcy
'65 305 Dream

conbs
honda305.com Member

No spark

Post by conbs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 am

Disconnect the green wire out of your coil from the main harness and strike it briefly and repeatedly to a good ground on your bike to see if you get spark at the plugs. If you get good spark, could be oil on your points or a bad condenser. Maybe a short or open along the green wire somewhere between coil and points.

If no spark from the above, disconnect the black + lead going into your coil from the main harness and check for 12 v at that plug in the main harness. If you have a good strong 12v there, your coil may be bad or have a bad ground.

If you don't have a good strong 12 v at the main harness (by the coil), take your headlight out and check to see if you have 12 v coming out of the black wire at the main switch. If you don't sounds like an issue in your switch. If you do have 12v at the switch, look for an open/short in the black wire between the switch and coil. Check the white plug in the harness - right side at the front of the tank.

Sounds like it may be an intermittent problem - the most fun of all. Good luck.

djbarcy
honda305.com Member

Post by djbarcy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you Conbs.
Dan Barcy
'65 305 Dream

conbs
honda305.com Member

No spark

Post by conbs » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:02 am

You are welcome. The above assumes a few things, so if it doesn't resolve your problem, let everyone know. There are other things you might need to check.

BTW for the above tests the key needs to be in "run" position.

djbarcy
honda305.com Member

Post by djbarcy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:34 am

Thank you Conbs! I ran the diagnostics and the troublw was with the coil ground (thank goodness as I don't have a spare coil). I removed the bolt holding the coil to the frame, cleaned it and the female threads and now have a good spark at the plugs. I pulled the carb and brought it inside (it's still only 45*) for one last go through. Doing some duelng drums with a friend in a bit but hope to get it all back together this evening or tomorrow as it is supposed to be near 70.
Again, I want to thank all who responded. Will hopefully be riding tomorrow.
Dan
Dan Barcy
'65 305 Dream

conbs
honda305.com Member

SPARK

Post by conbs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 am

Dan, glad to be of help. I hope that really has solved your problem and a bad ground could cause exactly what you experienced. But remember it was intermittent problem as well, so don't get discouraged if you find you're not quite there. It could also be a combination of things, of which you found one. Hope your troubles are over. Happy riding.

You're a drummer, too?

djbarcy
honda305.com Member

Post by djbarcy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:43 am

Thank you all, you are awesome!! Just got back from an hour ride on streets the bike hasn't been on in 38 years. It ran strong!
Took a picture in from of the house we lived in till '73.
Yeah Conbs, been playing drums since 5th grade. Right now enjoy jamming with friends and play pecussion in a citywide concert band.
Thanks again!
Dan
Dan Barcy
'65 305 Dream

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home