Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Trying to get the Dream ready

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Trying to get the Dream ready

Post by mmiiiiiz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:18 am

Hello all,

Thought I'd show you another person's attempt at not letting an old motorcycle slip away. I picked this '66 Dream up a little while back, and while the motor did turn, it wouldn't start. The PO had attempted a few things and obviously just decided to bail. I am hoping to have it ready to ride in the Motogiro in the Spring, so my goal is simply a mechanical restoration, and a spit and polish.

Got the motor out (that was a little harder than I expected it to be), and with the help of a friend, got the seals and tranny issues taken care of. The compression seems to be right where it should be, so I'll leave the top end alone for right now.

With only a little over 5K on it, I think it saw some rough use. A good amount of rust and all the cables trashed. But, most of it's there, and the PO put new tires on it. I've got new cables installed, motor back in, carb is clean, and the switches are clean (although I will probably have to post something in the "What part is this section, as I have a few extra parts from the Left switch...) This thing is getting close.

I've put in a pic of the handlebar throttle section before I cleaned it. I was unfamiliar with the Dream throttle set up and hope I can get it back together with out much fuss. I did clean the old grease off, is there a particular type of grease that should go back on?

It's always fun to check out this site, and see what some of y'all have done with this iconic machine. I ride the winding roads of Western NC, and I've only seen one other Dream on the road in all this time.

I appreciate all the advice I've read so far...Thanks
Attachments
BB to start.jpg
BB to start.jpg (502.62 KiB) Viewed 4593 times
DSCN1046.JPG
DSCN1046.JPG (510 KiB) Viewed 4593 times
Motor back in.JPG
Motor back in.JPG (483.7 KiB) Viewed 4593 times
Right switch.JPG
Right switch.JPG (420.57 KiB) Viewed 4594 times
Throttle grip.JPG
Throttle grip.JPG (487.01 KiB) Viewed 4593 times

SWARDLAW
honda305.com Member

Post by SWARDLAW » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:18 pm

What part of the mountains do you ride? I live in Greenville S.C. and will be riding mine this spring. i've got some work yet to do but I'm close. I've ridden mine a little over 150 miles since this summer.

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:59 pm

I live just outside of Asheville. Good riding here, that's for sure, same as down your way. I'm surprised the vintage scene isn't as well organized as I'd like it to be (guess I should get off my tail and do something about it rather than just complain). I see a fair amount of older bikes though, seems like there's a good amount of Cafe bikes. Is there a pic of your bike on the forum?

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:38 pm

I use white lithium grease on the throttle parts and tube/handlebar, and lube the cable with the "Cable Life" spray stuff. No matter what you do, it won't snap back like the "normal" style throttle. Think of it as a poor man's cruise control:) Welcome.

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Post by FluteTears » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 am

48lesco wrote:I use white lithium grease on the throttle parts and tube/handlebar, and lube the cable with the "Cable Life" spray stuff. No matter what you do, it won't snap back like the "normal" style throttle. Think of it as a poor man's cruise control:) Welcome.
Mine snaps back just fine I did lots of cleaning and put on a new cable and lubed the new cable.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

48lesco
honda305.com Member

Post by 48lesco » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:36 am

Guess it depends on your definition of "snap." Another thing that hangs them up a bit is an OEM grip on that side. It goes over the lip on the switch assy. and can drag a little. With an aftermarket grip that doesn't touch the switch, it can be more snappier.

mmiiiiiz
honda305.com Member

Post by mmiiiiiz » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I've got an OEM grip on this bike and an aftermarket one another Dream, and I'd say on that one it's probably more of a "snaaaaaaaap" :)

I'm fairly new to working on these old bikes, and appreciate the tips. I've got to say, that for as neglected as she has been, so far I've done pretty well with being able to get the fasteners off, so at least I've been lucky with that. Oh man, probably jinxed myself...

With any luck, it may be reassembled and ready to start soon. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home