Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Ring Order

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Ring Order

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:47 pm

So I finally got some new correct rings for the CA77, but I'm wondering about the Order they go in - as you can see here, I have (from Left to Right) a chrome-edged ring, a rather duller- finish ring in the middle, and the oil ring(s) -
ImageCA77 Piston w/ Rings by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

My question is, does the chrome ring go on Top, then the duller-finished ring, and then the oil ring...? And I Assume the little waffle-looking ring goes between the two rings that can be seen on the right, 'sandwiching' the waffle part...I know the oil ring goes on the bottom, but of the other two rings, which is the Scraper, and which is the Compression ring, and what order do they go in...?

Again, I would assume Compression on the top, Scraper in the middle, and Oil on the bottom - is that right?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Ring Order

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm

You are correct.
With the 3 piece I think the rings are the same.
Are you aware you will loose compression with that piston in a DREAM engine. ..............lm
Dr. Frankenstein wrote:So I finally got some new correct rings for the CA77, but I'm wondering about the Order they go in - as you can see here, I have (from Left to Right) a chrome-edged ring, a rather duller- finish ring in the middle, and the oil ring(s) -
ImageCA77 Piston w/ Rings by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

My question is, does the chrome ring go on Top, then the duller-finished ring, and then the oil ring...? And I Assume the little waffle-looking ring goes between the two rings that can be seen on the right, 'sandwiching' the waffle part...I know the oil ring goes on the bottom, but of the other two rings, which is the Scraper, and which is the Compression ring, and what order do they go in...?

Again, I would assume Compression on the top, Scraper in the middle, and Oil on the bottom - is that right?

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:08 am

Yes, but I'm not too worried about that - I *was going to go with High-Compression pistons, but I was worried about interference with the valves, (2) I couldn't find any, and (3) these were available, and looked like the ones I pulled out of this engine.

Besides, in the four Dreams I have in the garage I have never pulled out a pair of Hi-Comp's from any of the engines I've worked on, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:40 am

The piston you have is designed for the CB/CL77 engines.
The DREAM has by design more compression.
I'm hot suggesting High Compression Pistons merely that you install the DREAM design HONDA installed when the engine was assembled.
You are going to loose power for sure. .....................lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Yes, but I'm not too worried about that - I *was going to go with High-Compression pistons, but I was worried about interference with the valves, (2) I couldn't find any, and (3) these were available, and looked like the ones I pulled out of this engine.

Besides, in the four Dreams I have in the garage I have never pulled out a pair of Hi-Comp's from any of the engines I've worked on, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 am

Wow, Really...? Can you show me one of these pistons? Every piston I've taken out of a supposed "Honda Dream" had pistons that had "ART" and CB77 on them...or maybe it's C77 - I forget....maybe I'm missing something...

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:54 am

I'll try to send a pic in a bit.
The actual visual difference is the DREAM piston Does Not Have the Groove at the top outer edge like the one you have.
I think "G" sent a couple of pics earlier. ....................lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Wow, Really...? Can you show me one of these pistons? Every piston I've taken out of a supposed "Honda Dream" had pistons that had "ART" and CB77 on them...or maybe it's C77 - I forget....maybe I'm missing something...

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

pistons

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:32 pm

Please send your eMail so I can send a pic. ........................lm

Dr. Frankenstein wrote:Wow, Really...? Can you show me one of these pistons? Every piston I've taken out of a supposed "Honda Dream" had pistons that had "ART" and CB77 on them...or maybe it's C77 - I forget....maybe I'm missing something...

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home