honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 speedometer teardown - any online guides?

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

CA77 speedometer teardown - any online guides?

Post by the-chauffeur » Sun May 26, 2019 11:14 am

Are there any decent sources showing how to overhaul the speedo on the CA?

I'm assuming it's a crimp seal around the glass because I can't see how else it's held together. I'm a little surprised at just how much sealant was used when it was assembled. It seems to have squeezed out as it hardened and I wanna get that cleaned up. I may also change the face depending on how badly yellowed the original one is when I get to see it out from under glass.

Cheers.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Mon May 27, 2019 6:52 am

You are right about the speedo being crimped together. Honda didn't use any sealant, just a rubber seal so I expect that's a previous owners handiwork. If you are careful you can ease the crimping so as not to damage the top face and then remove the glass. The actual painted face seems to clean up really well with just some soap and water. I wouldn't risk using any sort of solvent on it though.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 28, 2019 10:10 am

the-chauffeur
honda305.com Member

Post by the-chauffeur » Tue May 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Ah - thanks gents . . . that's epic.

I was going to say that although I can't imagine Honda used sealant, there's no sign of anyone ever having opened the unit up . . . and then I saw the photos in the other thread. Mine has exactly the same crumbly white stuff spilling out the back side. God knows what that's about.

The guide in that link should allow me to tear mine down, although I s'pose it might be an idea think I'll get a drill out and check that it works before I start . . .

Thanks again.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home