Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Tytronic electronic ignition

raydike
honda305.com Member

Tytronic electronic ignition

Post by raydike » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 am

Hi everyone. I bought myself one of these Tytronic electronic ignitions : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tytronic-Elect ... 2224397549
Today tried to install it but the instructions are not very helpful. I found out that the red wire has to be spliced with the black wire of the ignition coil (switched +12V), and the blue wire has to be connected to the green wire of the coil. The condenser is not necessary any more. I left it in place so I can switch back to points if I need to. When testing the timing with a strobe light I found the timing way off, like 45 degrees. I tried reversing the rotor but that didn't work. Finally I had to drill new mounting holes to make it work. I wonder if I was sent the wrong rotor. The rotor has 4 magnets, I guess to control advance, but it already has the original mechanical advance so I am a bit puzzled. Anyway, it works quite well now. If I made a mistake maybe someone can point it out?
Last edited by raydike on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm

THAT is Awesome! I have the exact same one I have been wanting to put on my bike, but I haven't gotten it dialed it yet -

Did you happen to take more pictures, and document how you did it? How does the bike run?

I would dearly Love to get rid of my points!

Did you need to add a resistor or anything...?

Where/how did you attach the timing light? I tried to do that yesterday, but didn't get anything; granted, it was a timing light for a car - Positive lead on the Positive battery post, black/Negative lead on a ground, and the little clamp around the spark plug lead...but the light wouldn't come on.

raydike
honda305.com Member

Post by raydike » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:37 am

Here's another picture:
As you can see I had to put one of the mounting screws right through the sensor plate.
It could be that they sent the wrong rotor, I don't know. Anyway it works fine now, very smooth running. The advance is also correct. The electrics are easy, the red wire connects to the black wire (+12V) this wire stays connected to the ignition coil as well. The blue wire goes to the green wire of the coil.
About the timing light not working: you probably have to reverse the clip on the plug cable. Some timing lights are sensitive to the direction of the current in the cable. There's also an led on the tytronic unit to help with the timing. Hope this helps
Last edited by raydike on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:46 am

How did you go about timing it? Did you time it before you put the Tyrtronic on, or after? Everything I've read say to time it before you take off the points, but then it seems that afterwards you have to Re-time it to get the magnet to hit the right spots...does it make a difference? And you can just do away with the capacitor, yes..?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: Tytronic electronic ignition

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 am

Doesn't the wire (Green as you show it ) go from Coil to the Condenser then The points?. ..............lm
raydike wrote:Hi everyone. I bought myself one of these Tytronic electronic ignitions : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tytronic-Elect ... 2224397549
Today tried to install it but the instructions are not very helpful. I found out that the red wire has to be spliced with the black wire of the ignition coil (switched +12V), and the blue wire has to be connected to the green wire of the coil. The condenser is not necessary any more. I left it in place so I can switch back to points if I need to. When testing the timing with a strobe light I found the timing way off, like 45 degrees. I tried reversing the rotor but that didn't work. Finally I had to drill new mounting holes to make it work. I wonder if I was sent the wrong rotor. The rotor has 4 magnets, I guess to control advance, but it already has the original mechanical advance so I am a bit puzzled. Anyway, it works quite well now. If I made a mistake maybe someone can point it out?

raydike
honda305.com Member

Post by raydike » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Doesn't the wire (Green as you show it ) go from Coil to the Condenser then The points?. ..............lm
Yes, that's true but the points and the condenser are in parallel so for the schematic it doesn't matter.
How did you go about timing it? Did you time it before you put the Tyrtronic on, or after? Everything I've read say to time it before you take off the points, but then it seems that afterwards you have to Re-time it to get the magnet to hit the right spots...does it make a difference? And you can just do away with the capacitor, yes..?
I put the unit first then checked the timing. That's how I found out it was way off. You can watch the red led on the unit, when you rotate the crankshaft clockwise the led comes on at the ignition point. This should coincide with the F mark on the flywheel. For the electronic ignition the capacitor can be left disconnected. I left it in so I can switch back to points easily if I need to.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:33 pm

GOD LOVE the Neophyte (we have a couple on the forum now) who attempts to place the points ahead of the 12volt lead ahead of the condenser.
OH WELL!. ................lm

raydike wrote:
Yes, that's true but the points and the condenser are in parallel so for the schematic it doesn't matter.
I put the unit first then checked the timing. That's how I found out it was way off. You can watch the red led on the unit, when you rotate the crankshaft clockwise the led comes on at the ignition point. This should coincide with the F mark on the flywheel. For the electronic ignition the capacitor can be left disconnected. I left it in so I can switch back to points easily if I need to.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home