Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CA77 hard shifting and not going completely in to gear

Lucille
honda305.com Member

CA77 hard shifting and not going completely in to gear

Post by Lucille » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:49 am

Hey guys! New to the forum! I just picked up a '66 Ca77 305 known from the registration the guy had. Bear with me trying to explain my problems the best I can.

I need help with the transmission. This is my first bike and I've never really driven stick before so never had to work on a clutch and such. Running the bike, holding in the clutch didn't take it out of gear 40% of the time. 20% of the time it would work fine. 40% of the time the bike would roll but there is a very good "clicking?" sound when rolling the bike. I adjusted the the clutch lever and now the clutch seems to be working however there is still a lot of "pressure" (I guess is the term) to roll the bike. Maybe it is suppose to be like that.

The shifter works maybe 30% of the time. The PO said he could only shift into 3rd sometimes and other times it would act neutral.
Other times the shifter just gets stuck or doesn't want to go past any gears. If I bash it sometimes it will go to the next gear but obviously thats not the proper way. Rolling the rear wheel helps shift but not all the time. Neutral is very hard to find and when it is in neutral, only about 20% of the time will it roll without making the same clicking sound when holding in the clutch.

I also have what I have read is called "chain slap?" on the main drive chain and the chain that goes around the clutch. Do I need new chains or can I just adjust the ones I have. Also how do you remove them?

I have to many %'s and a whole lot of questions....

I appreciate all the help!

Meet Lucile!

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7633 by Nicholas Abadiotakis, on Flickr

ImageUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_7631 by Nicholas Abadiotakis, on Flickr

Image58965984707__AAADA5CD-9A8D-4540-923E-BD03FA11012F by Nicholas Abadiotakis, on Flickr

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Re: CA77 hard shifting and not going completely in to gear

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:50 am

From your descriptions you have major trans problems.
Please call me at 830-895-0654. .............lm
Lucille wrote:Hey guys! New to the forum! I just picked up a '66 Ca77 305 known from the registration the guy had. Bear with me trying to explain my problems the best I can.

I need help with the transmission. This is my first bike and I've never really driven stick before so never had to work on a clutch and such. Running the bike, holding in the clutch didn't take it out of gear 40% of the time. 20% of the time it would work fine. 40% of the time the bike would roll but there is a very good "clicking?" sound when rolling the bike. I adjusted the the clutch lever and now the clutch seems to be working however there is still a lot of "pressure" (I guess is the term) to roll the bike. Maybe it is suppose to be like that.

The shifter works maybe 30% of the time. The PO said he could only shift into 3rd sometimes and other times it would act neutral.
Other times the shifter just gets stuck or doesn't want to go past any gears. If I bash it sometimes it will go to the next gear but obviously thats not the proper way. Rolling the rear wheel helps shift but not all the time. Neutral is very hard to find and when it is in neutral, only about 20% of the time will it roll without making the same clicking sound when holding in the clutch.

I also have what I have read is called "chain slap?" on the main drive chain and the chain that goes around the clutch. Do I need new chains or can I just adjust the ones I have. Also how do you remove them?

Meet Lucile!

Lucille
honda305.com Member

Post by Lucille » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:36 pm

LOUD MOUSE wrote:From your descriptions you have major trans problems.
Lucille wrote:Hey guys! New to the forum! I just picked up a '66 Ca77 305 known from the registration the guy had. Bear with me trying to explain my problems the best I can.

Meet Lucile!

When is a good time frame for you?

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Please call after 5:00 your time. ..............lm
Lucille wrote:
LOUD MOUSE wrote:From your descriptions you have major trans problems.

Meet Lucile!

When is a good time frame for you?

Lucille
honda305.com Member

Post by Lucille » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 am

Appreciate it, will give you a call tonight

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:37 am

I'm at home now.
If you like call now. ........lm

Lucille wrote:Appreciate it, will give you a call tonight

Lucille
honda305.com Member

Post by Lucille » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:57 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/184453020 ... res/5F5536

Theres a few photos on that link, if you'd like me to upload them all individually I can do that as well.

I'll give you a call back whenever you let me know

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home