Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Valve adjustment

garncarz
honda305.com Member

Valve adjustment

Post by garncarz » Sun May 03, 2020 3:13 pm

I am struggling with adjusting the valves on my 66 CA78. Per the manual, I am using a .004" feeler. I cut the feeler gauge down to about 3/8" wide and 1" long and then soldered it to a small piece of brass rod in order to get it in between the valve and the rocker. Tight ya know! After tightening it down, I rechecked the clearance. Once the engine is hot the valves clatter like crazy. Should I reset them when hot? Any tips on the tightening procedure? Thanks in advance.

John.

cknight
honda305.com Member

Re: Valve adjustment

Post by cknight » Mon May 04, 2020 11:16 am

Make sure that you're adjusting the valves when each piston is at top dead center FIRING, not top dead center OVERLAP. For a double-check, turn the engine over in the normal direction of rotation (clockwise). Do one cylinder at a time. As the exhaust valve just starts to open, check the valve lash on the intake. Turn some more, as the intake valve fully opens and is nearly closed, check the valve lash on the exhaust. Also, if the engine has been apart (cylinder head off), the cam may have not been timed correctly in relation to the crankshaft. Regards, Chase

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm

You can tell when and which each piston is at TDC.
Mark on the end of the points came is straight down and rotor is at "T" right piston is at TDC.
Half turn on the rotor and the mark is at 9:00 left piston is at TDC.
No guessing!. ...............lm

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Mon May 04, 2020 5:31 pm

OOOPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The DREAM is same as point cam mark down but turn rotor 360 and mark will be straight up.
Sorry. .............lm

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home