Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Leaky Shifter Seal Driving Me Crazy - SOLVED

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Leaky Shifter Seal Driving Me Crazy - SOLVED

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:18 am

Hi All;
it's been a while, but I'm looking for some advice on my '64 CA77 shifter gasket - I rebuilt the engine but keep having a recurring problem with the dang shifter seal, #14257 in the diagram, which keeps leaking...when I put in new seals all around, I cleaned out that seal-well, got it in nice and flush, but the d*mn thing keeps leaking!

I'm thinking I need to take it back out and put in some kind of sealant, which I haven't tried yet, but I thought I would put this out there and see what you guys say.
Last edited by Dr. Frankenstein on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratone
honda305.com Member

Re: Leaky Shifter Seal Driving Me Crazy

Post by stratone » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:37 pm

Is the shaft worn?..............................D

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:20 am

I can't say that it IS, but I can't say that it ISN'T, either...It looked good when I installed the new one, but it still drips out the end of the seal! I figure I'll just get some more seals and try again, making sure everything is smooth. Put on some thread sealant, maybe...?

The seal seat didn't look damaged or anything...the bike is currently wintering over in the garage though, so I have time...God, I hate winter.

Dr. Frankenstein
honda305.com Member

Post by Dr. Frankenstein » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:05 pm

Postscript - I finally just took some copper gasket maker and spread it over the face of the seal and let it dry. Not a drop since.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home