Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

C72 from France

sky.fred
honda305.com Member

C72 from France

Post by sky.fred » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:24 am

Hello
I bought a 1963 C72 (in France it's his name not CA72) and I discovered this forum which is a mine of information for me because this bike is rare in France. I think that those who ride here can be counted on the fingers of one hand.
It's a bike imported from Japan that's almost complete, hasn't been driven many km and is in correct cosmetic condition.
It will need a major overhaul and a few modifications to bring it back to its original state (exhaust, indicators etc....).
The bike is still with the seller and I'm due to pick it up by the end of the month, at which time I'll explain how to get it back on the road.
I'll certainly be asking for your help with technical questions and, if necessary, to find parts, as there are none available in France.

PS
Sorry for the mistakes but my English is school-learned and I'll probably have trouble with the technical terms.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Re: C72 from France

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:52 pm

The bike looks very nice and complete, good silencers will be difficult to find and expensive if you do find any. CMSNL in the Netherlands is a good source of parts but again quite expensive. You obviously paid attention at school as your English is excellent.

sky.fred
honda305.com Member

Post by sky.fred » Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:36 pm

I cheat a little, use a translator and correct what I think is wrong.
This C72 is indeed in good condition and has only 11,000 km on the odometer. This is possible because it comes directly from Japan, where it seems it hasn't been driven for a very long time, given the condition of the tires and the various rubbers.But it was stored dry !
I'll know more when I dismantle it ..... it will be delivered to me at the end of the week.
The serial number corresponds to 1963, but there are elements that seem older (double seat, non-folding passenger footrests, etc.). What do you think?
I know CMSNL because I have a few other old Honda (125 Cbs '72, 1000 GL '77 and XR 500 R '82) but there aren't many C72 parts left and they're very expensive.

Geoff Hastings
honda305.com Member

Post by Geoff Hastings » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:08 pm

If you look on the wiring loom under the tank there is a small label that has a date on it. It will be within a year of manufacture. The engine and frame numbers can sometimes be misleading and don’t expect them to match like some manufacturers do.

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Post by Michael Stoic » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:05 am

Welcome to the honda305 Forum!

What a nice looking bike! Looking from the US side of the ocean, any Honda from that period with factory turn signals (and the split seats) looks even more like an exotic rarity. I look forward to following your C72 journey!

--
Michael

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 am

C'est beau! Bienvenue au forum!

Tim

sky.fred
honda305.com Member

Post by sky.fred » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:47 am

Merci, je vais donc pouvoir écrire en français ...

I don't know if I'll have to change the chain kit but in doubt, I sent a message to this store to find out if he ships to France but no answer....

https://www.moto-madness.com/Cafe-racer ... ahmra.html

Do you know it or do you have another address to find new sprocket?

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home