Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Hello & my new to me 1965 CA77

Corvairstorm
honda305.com Member

Hello & my new to me 1965 CA77

Post by Corvairstorm » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:29 am

Hello, I have just bought my 1965 Honda CA77 today, well 2-26 in Michigan & brought it back to NE Ohio.

Pictures available at link below (CA77)
https://imgur.com/a/0IN4sxR

Bonus pictures below (CA102)
https://imgur.com/a/giQv0VV

I have only owned one other motorbike for about a month & that 1965 Honda 50 (CA102) got me hooked wanting a little more power. I know 255 more is more than a little more power. Haha

Anyway, this CA77 runs, idles, shifts & drives. I plan to do some test driving tomorrow if not raining, but figured I ask what things I should look for as a beginner. I have yet to look over this site yet, but figured anyone that wants to offer any help is appreciated!

Issues with the CA77 now mentioned to me by the previous owner whom treated me very well & kind for a newbie.
1. Petcock leaking gas, this is a immediate concern & need to find parts/gaskets to fix. Hopefully an easy fix.
2. Was told the starter doesn't work, but I tried it & it fired up the bike. Maybe it is loose or the main chain too loose. Grease build up? Unsure but will investigate as I did mine on my CA102, although still doesn't start it...
3. Main chain seems a bit loose, I would guess a similar procedure to tighten like my CA102.
4. The piece/guard under the black knob between the handlebars is cracked, I was told it isn't a huge issue but I know it's annoying to look at.
5. Headlight, Speedo light, Speedo do not work, taillight & brake light work. Electrical issues, oh boy, any common things to look at there?
6. Horn button seems to push & do nothing.... boooo, need a horn. haha
7. Missing a few small pieces, knob for a side cover, rubber for the front shift pedal, small things...

That is all I can think of off the top of my head at 2am....
I did order a owners manual, not here yet!

Anyway, I appreciate & help, feedback or suggestions. I am a complete newbie here. Motorbikes I quite enjoy, but this look of the CA77.... boy it looks good & seems like it may move a bit faster than the CA102.

Thanks

Kyle

Michael Stoic
honda305.com Member

Re: Hello & my new to me 1965 CA77

Post by Michael Stoic » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:58 pm

Kyle, Welcome to the Honda305 Forum!

The best way to start with bikes is from the smallest and then up a bit each time. That was how my own journey progressed - and one I recommend.

Looks to me you are going about it the right way. Enjoy the process and the romance of the vintage motorbikes!

--
Michael

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home