Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Project CB92 - A Journey to Resurrection

JC56, JC57, C70, C71, CB71, CE71, CS71, CSA71, CS72, CSA72, C75, C76, CA76, CS76, CSA76, CS77, CSA77, CB92, CA95
Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Project CB92 - A Journey to Resurrection

Post by Rizingson » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:29 pm

As promised last fall, I would write a build thread on my CB92 the following spring. Since I wanted to get an early start on this project, moving it ahead of a Yamaha Big Bear restoration in my project queue, mainly do to the rapidly dwindling world wide parts inventory. My goal is to complete this project by the end of May, hopefully in time for various shows. So I thought I'd begin with a little background on the project as well as updates as they "slowly" progress. Apologies for any duplicate photo's I used when I announced this acquisition last fall in a previous thread.

Last fall I had the good fortune of obtaining one of the rarest and most collectible Honda's made. It was a '61 CB92, although titled as a '62, and even though it was looking rather crusty and disheveled (at least when I first saw it) I was determined to finally make one of these historical models mine, price be damned! I was aware, from the start of this project, that there could be no turning back, due to parts scarcity or cost. It would have to be completed with the strictest adherence to originality that I could possibly summons. As expected sourcing parts would be one of the most challenging aspects of this project, and so far it has involved procurement of bits from 5 different continents.

The CB92 Benly Super Sport 125 (B indicating sporting), was first released in 1959 and made until 1964. It should be noted that this model was Honda's first Super Sport. However it was only imported to the US for three years, (1960 - 1962) in very limited numbers. Just over 1000 units, counting the Dealer equipped R version which could be added later in any number of various degrees of completeness, by purchasing the special "YB" (race kit) parts individually from any dealer. No stamping of the frame differentiates a CB92 from a CB92R.

I wish I could have learned more of the story behind this particular bike, but all I really know is that it was owned by the owner of a long ago abandoned dealership in Greenfield, IA. Last registered in 1976, it spend nearly 40 years in this pole barn warehouse covered in dust.
Here is where it aged some 40 years, tucked between a Honda Dream and a Honda S65.
When the owners of the dealership retired, the shop was simply locked up and everything left in place.

Further info on this dealership can be found in various places on the internet, such as this.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015 ... the-1980s/

After moving it outside it was hosed off and the condition was more easily evaluated. Considerable pitting on many chrome pieces as well as a yet to be determined amount of severe front fork damage that was amateurishly repaired and halfheartedly concealed by a close, but not accurate rattle can finish which was done on a good portion of the frame as well.

Over a hundred bikes and lots of NOS parts were sold at auction that day, including many project bikes, up to a new never been sold CBX.

Here's a view of some of the bikes in an open field just prior to the start of the auction.

...as well as the Honda CB92

I have to admit, it was the first time I bought a bike and was immediately congratulated by people for the purchase. Or possibly they were just thinking how crazy I was to buy it. Even David Silvers, who attended, mentioned it was rough and way over priced, as were most of the items that day. Anyway, after completing the paperwork, that didn't stop a few people from wanting their picture taken with it, when the crowd had finally dispersed, as I was loading it up.
Here it is, finally loaded up and ready for the overnight trip back to Colorado.

Finally, after getting it home in the early morning and unloaded,
here's a picture showing the last plate of registration, 1976. You can also see the rust damage on the right muffler as well.

The first step I usually take in the restoration process is to go through all the tune-up adjustments, including valve lash adjustment (where I noted the lighter racing alloy retainers had been installed) Followed by cleaning of the carburetor and fuel system as well as changing the oil. This is where I ran into the first issue. Apparently a previous owner didn't have a set of metric wrenches, so the drain plug was sawed and filed to roughly fit an SAE size. To make matter worse it was frozen to the case harder than anything I'd encountered so far. Further destruction of the plug was required to get a tight fit by hammering on a socket and jarring it loose with an impact wrench. Finally with some fresh oil it was fired up to see if anything would be required beyond some new gaskets and seals, such as crank bearings etc. It came to life quickly and actually sounded great with the non-baffled original seamless mufflers.

Here's a video of it's first start up for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoR1IGEfK4o

Stay tuned as hopefully this restoration will slowly come to a successful finish!
Last edited by Rizingson on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:57 am

I am really looking forward to following your progress Rizingson. I enjoy reading all the details and looking at the pictures and the videos. I remember getting the promotional materials for the Greenfield auction. I believe it was held by Yvette Venderbrinke? I just went to her youtube channel to post the link and strangely, the detailed preview video has been taken down..and it has been replaced by a very short highlights type video. I am about four years away from being able to take off on a bike hunt like that so for now I have to keep my eyes open close to home, which has worked out pretty well. I am not going to ask how much you paid for the CB92, but I am curious about the CBX. Do you remember it's model year and how much it sold for?
Thank You
Steve

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:37 am

Great find. Despite the flaws you've pointed out, you have a lot to work with there. I'm looking forward to your restoration.

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for the comments and encouragement everyone. There seems to be some issues with my image hosting site. I'll try to relink them in the morning.

EDIT:
Sorry guys, I'm trying to contact bikepics.com, as the problem seems to be theirs, although different browsers are seeing some pics but not all. It appears to be caused by whether the link is seen as an https:// or an http://. Unfortunately this is affecting all previous posts in many different forums, showing up with no pictures visible. No way can I go back and fix them all manually. Hopefully things will get back to normal soon.

Update:
Well I think it's fixed for this thread. But not any others for now. I still have all my pics, but I got smacked down for hotlinking from my normal website. So for this build I'm using my photobucket account, but probably don't have enough free space there. If I do I'll try to resurrect some of my older build threads, but all others would be mind boggling to redo.
Hopefully no more viewing issues. What a PITA.

donshonda
honda305.com Member

RE:CB92

Post by donshonda » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:37 am

Rizingsun your CB92 looks pretty good, and it is great that it is fairly complete. I saw the pictures and video of the bike running on another site and it sounded good. I read your comments on the condition of the bike, but I can assure you that your bike is so much better than other CB92's I've seen in recent years. We have a group page on Facebook called "Honda CB92 Benly Super Sport" and there are a number of CB92 owners who check in there regularly. Come and join us if you will.

Rizingson
honda305.com Member

Post by Rizingson » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

As seen in the video of the previous post, the bike certainly ran well, with no smoke or strange noises, much to my relief. So after starting this bike up, there was no way I would be able to resist putting a few miles on it, prior to complete tear down and beginning of restoration.

Some first riding impressions:
One of the first things I noticed was how heavy the machine felt and handled for it's size. I tried different adjustments on the steering damper, but could not get rid of the heavy "have to drive it" rather than ride it feeling. Possibly the fork damage had something to do with it, so will know more later. Power was definitely superior to what I've experienced in the similarly designed CA95's that I own. The CB92 came out with 3 different shifting patterns. Mine uses the GP pattern of 1 up and 3 down. This four speed arrangement took me a little while to get used to, since the only other bike I own with that pattern is a Hodaka Ace 90.

A bit of racing history:
It's been documented that Honda did actually send 4 CB92 machines to the Isle of Man in 1959, that were used, not for actual racing, but for their 4 team riders to familiarize themselves with the course. Honda was still finalizing their last minute changes/improvements to the RC142, (the 4 valve per cyl motor) after it was determined that the RC141 2 valve per cyl motor just wasn't strong enough. The four Japanese riders would finish in 6th, 7th, 8th and 11th positions.
Here's what the RC142 looked like with fairing removed. Note the same front brake as a CB92 as well as the racing megaphones exhaust system.
...and with fairing in place. Naomi Taniguchi, placed sixth, with the Number "8" Honda RC142.

So finally the disassembly starts. Of course many pictures were taken for aiding re-assembly, but I'm sure it will still not be enough.
The main things I like to focus on are linkage arrangements as well as specific routing of electrical and control cables.
The shifting selector, shown here has the additional linkage rod, which I've heard can be used to change the shift pattern from GP style back to the standardized shifting most bikes had.

Rear brake linkage.

Here the rear wheel has been removed. Note the bondo repair work on the upper fork.

Existing electrical had quite a few previous repairs, although everything did work as it was supposed to prior to tear down.
Some electrical connections through left side cover.

Front fender is completely supported by the front break assembly rather than tabs on the forks. So it is free to float with the wheel. Unfortunately this also means it doesn't have enough room to be removed without the wheel being removed as well.
The fender is supported by 3 bolts on each side of the hub.

With this particular fender being anodized aluminum it is very fragile, and already had a few dents as well a numerous scratches in it.
I removed it from the hub prior to removing the wheel, but found it couldn't be completely removed. I was concerned with the motor accidentally hitting the fender during removal, so I blocked it up out of the way of the motor which I hoping to be able to rotate forward. However that didn't work either as the engine cases contacted the frame. This is when is sucks to be working alone.

Finally with the motor removed, I could start dismantling the front wheel and fork assemblies.

Front wheel is removed. Note the the front break is the same as used on the RC142.

Now was the time to take apart the triple tree and make sure to keep all the parts in order.

Here's a picture of the frame, now with all the electrical components removed and the forks in the wheel clamp, still with the shock absorbers in place.

....and finally all the blue parts inventoried and ready to go to media blasting. Tank and side cover will be re-done in Honda cloud silver.

....as always, more to come!

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:56 am

Very Interesting Rizingson. Please keep the updates coming. I really enjoy all the pictures and video. And, I'm learning.
Steve

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home