Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CVMG Rally in Paris, Ontario

Rides, Meets, Shows, Races, etc. | Literature: Repair, Parts, History, Philosophy (ZatAoMM)
Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

CVMG Rally in Paris, Ontario

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:17 am

I just got back from riding my SuperHawk to the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group's 33rd Annual Rally in Paris, Ontario (west of Niagara Falls), and for those of you who haven't been, it was an extremely enjoyable experience. The people were great, the selection of bikes was interesting, and the surrounding roads were quite picturesque and lightly traveled by cars. There weren't too many SuperHawks in attendance, but mine won 1st place in the 'Street/Special' category, and also won for 'Furthest Distance Traveled' (575 miles from Baltimore, MD). This event is held on Father's Day weekend of each year, and I think it's definitely a worthwhile rally for those of you who are looking for an event that is friendly and fairly well attended. Of course, people were freaking out at the fact that someone RODE their vintage bike to the rally from so far away, but if Pirsig and his son and all of their gear could go from Minnesota to California in '68, why not?

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Re: CVMG Rally in Paris, Ontario

Post by ryan_siefrin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:49 pm

wow, that's an awesome story and your bike looks great! Glad to know you made it that far and back. Did you get there without any problems? Is that green bag suspended from your wheel? how long that trip take you? I too have been to niagara falls before and i really enjoyed the trip also.<br /><br />
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

kustommusic
honda305.com Member

Post by kustommusic » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:17 pm

Hey, I'm with Ryan,WoW cool trip and really cool bike. Congrats on the trophys Vince.

oscillon
honda305.com Member

Post by oscillon » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 pm

Hey there. I just saw your bike a few months ago in MD at the Classic British Motorcycle Show at Butlers Orchard. I saw a lot of really nice bikes in the parking lot that day, and yours was one of them. <br /><br />I used to live in MD and was visiting my partents the day of the show. I am in MA now and I have a 65 superhawk, and a 64 Bonneville. The CB77 is my &quot;rider&quot; and the fresh resto triumph is in the garage. <br /><br />It seems you take some long trips... Maybe I'll see you riding around cambridge MA sometime soon. ;-)<br /><br />Cheers,<br />Dan<br />

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:06 pm

The bag is only my camera bag that's hanging on the handlebar (I think it's a Swedish Army Medic bag). The 575 miles was done in two days (390 the first day and the balance on the second). After the show I rode 90 miles to Toronto (where I'm from originally) and visited my family for a few days. I then rode back to Baltimore in one shot (510 miles in 12.5 hours). The only maintenance required was an oil change at my mum's house, a minor clutch cable adjustment, two chain adjustments and chain lube. The bike performed flawlessly and didn't seem to mind being fully loaded and ridden at 55-65mph all day. I used to do long trips back in the '80's on a 1981 CB900F (Atlantic Canada, British Columbia, Southeast US, Alaska) and I wanted to see if I could still handle doing long trips. Who knows, maybe Mid-Ohio next year???<br />

ryan_siefrin
honda305.com Member

Post by ryan_siefrin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:49 am

that's awesome that it can take those long trips so well, that's very impressive to me. I bet you got pretty good gas milage too hu?
Ryan Siefring

1965 Honda CA77 Dream
1996 Honda CBR 900 RR

Vince Lupo
honda305.com Member

Post by Vince Lupo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:21 am

I think I averaged somewhere in the 55mpg range. After doing about 110 miles, I'd fill up and it would require somewhere around 2 gallons or slightly less. I don't use any lead additive, but I used an octane boost (not that it was necessarily needed, just liked the thought that now it was a hyped-up SuperHawk!). It was primarily highway speeds with intermittent slowdown when I was going through small towns. The bike has about 6000 original miles on it now, so to my knowledge it has never had any engine work other than routine service and my addition of the electronic ignition that Michael sells here on the website.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home