honda305.com Forum

Login
□ Search
□ FAQ 
□ 
Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Bill Silvers Has the Past Passed Us By Now?

Rides, Meets, Shows, Races, etc. | Literature: Repair, Parts, History, Philosophy (ZatAoMM)
Steverino
honda305.com Member

Bill Silvers Has the Past Passed Us By Now?

Post by Steverino » Tue May 19, 2015 9:57 am

deafanddiabetic
honda305.com Member

Post by deafanddiabetic » Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 pm

That's a fantastic article.

It's also interesting to read because it enforces a lot of my current social and motorcycle situations in a way I never thought about before.

I help out around a vintage motorcycle shop on the weekends and the median age of all of the employees is 50 years probably. I always attributed this to them having been alive long enough to have the funds available for some of the more rare and expensive bikes that come through the shop all the time, BSA's, Triumphs, Nortons, war era BMWs, etc. But it probably has a lot more to do with some of the things Bill is discussing.

I'm only 27 and I have many many motorcycle friends, some are wrenchers others are just riders. But all of them won't touch anything before 1985. They want the bells and whistles and the tight handling and the liquid cooling. And they all want Harleys.

They start with Sportsters, move up to Big Twins later on once they've saved their pennies for a few years.

But it's very few and far between that people my age can appreciate the 1950's and 60's stuff.

I get so many older folks who flag me down when I'm driving my R60/2 or CA72 Dream around and want to talk to me all about how they used to have one and how great the engineering was.

I see my friends at the bar and all they can say is, "cool bike".

Maybe it's just us old souls anymore.
1964 CA72
1974 BMW R75/6
1969 CL450
1995 Toyota Corolla Wagon (The Hauler)

jensey
honda305.com Member

Post by jensey » Wed May 20, 2015 12:58 am

Yes,

Nice article and I agree with Bill too.

Jensen

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home