Admirers

Chrome Panels

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Chrome Panels

Post by Waveblaster » Wed May 13, 2015 3:47 am

Hi

Interested to hear if anyone has had success panel beating the chrome panels prior to chroming?

I have a series of dollies etc I was going to try and beat out and pontentially use a bit of spray paint to identify the high/low areas and sand down.

AN English wheel would be the right tool for the job.

regards

Greg

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Re: Chrome Panels

Post by Tim Miller » Wed May 13, 2015 12:20 pm

I've done plenty with hammer & dollies also rolling technique on back side.
When using hammer be gentle, steel stretchs easily. After you think it's straight have some copper put on them block that out then polish till there perfect. Repeat if needed. It takes time.
But it's easy compared to thin alloy tanks/ fenders.

Have fun,
Tim

Tim
Waveblaster wrote:Hi

Interested to hear if anyone has had success panel beating the chrome panels prior to chroming?

I have a series of dollies etc I was going to try and beat out and pontentially use a bit of spray paint to identify the high/low areas and sand down.

regards

Greg

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Re: Chrome Panels

Post by G-Man » Wed May 13, 2015 5:45 pm

Greg

I've done some with simple hammer & dolly.

It's quite therapeutic and I was very surprised when they came out looking nice with chrome on.

G
Waveblaster wrote:Hi

regards

Greg
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Thu May 14, 2015 6:47 am

After you think it's straight have some copper put on them block that out then polish till there perfect. Repeat if needed. It takes time.
Are referring to copper before the nickel and chrome? I have found that plating houses here dont do this step anymore.

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Thu May 14, 2015 7:06 am

Yes, copper first it fills and sands much easier than nickel. Therefore acting like primer. Find another plater or be happy with however the nickel job turns out.

Regards,
Tim
Waveblaster wrote:
After you think it's straight have some copper put on them block that out then polish till there perfect. Repeat if needed. It takes time.
Are referring to copper before the nickel and chrome? I have found that plating houses here dont do this step anymore.

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 am

The plater I use refuses to use copper, claiming that it promotes rusting through galvanic effects. Damp place, England.....

One of these had a dent hammered out.

G

Tim Miller wrote:Yes, copper first it fills and sands much easier than nickel. Therefore acting like primer. Find another plater or be happy with however the nickel job turns out.

Regards,
Tim
Waveblaster wrote:
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Tim Miller
honda305.com Member

Post by Tim Miller » Sat May 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Copper tanks / systems are nasty and expensive. I'm not saying you can't have good results not using copper, it just makes filling imperfections easier. We also still have the hexavlent chrome here in the U.S. The copper strike also promotes adhesion for the nickel. I once un-seamed a cl72 tank to bang in out then had a nickel chrome only job and tuned out nice.

I still prefer polished alloy over chrome any day (-:

Tim
G-Man wrote:The plater I use refuses to use copper, claiming that it promotes rusting through galvanic effects. Damp place, England.....

One of these had a dent hammered out.

G

Tim Miller wrote:Yes, copper first it fills and sands much easier than nickel. Therefore acting like primer. Find another plater or be happy with however the nickel job turns out.

Regards,
Tim
Waveblaster wrote:

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home