Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Chrome Panels

Restoration and Cosmetic Upkeep
G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sat May 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Tim

My local plater works magic using copper under the nickel but those guys (most of the time) are out of my price bracket. Most of their customers are restoring Aston Martins and other expensive kit. Prestige just stick to their principles and won't do it, at any price.

I can understand why you prefer polished alloy, and your polished alloy on those CLs looks a lot like chrome anyway..... :-)

G

Tim Miller wrote:Copper tanks / systems are nasty and expensive. I'm not saying you can't have good results not using copper, it just makes filling imperfections easier. We also still have the hexavlent chrome here in the U.S. The copper strike also promotes adhesion for the nickel. I once un-seamed a cl72 tank to bang in out then had a nickel chrome only job and tuned out nice.

I still prefer polished alloy over chrome any day (-:

Tim
G-Man wrote:The plater I use refuses to use copper, claiming that it promotes rusting through galvanic effects. Damp place, England.....

One of these had a dent hammered out.

G

Tim Miller wrote:Yes, copper first it fills and sands much easier than nickel. Therefore acting like primer. Find another plater or be happy with however the nickel job turns out.

Regards,
Tim
Waveblaster wrote:
After you think it's straight have some copper put on them block that out then polish till there perfect. Repeat if needed. It takes time.
Are referring to copper before the nickel and chrome? I have found that plating houses here dont do this step anymore.
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Waveblaster
honda305.com Member

Post by Waveblaster » Sun May 17, 2015 1:37 am

I was under the impression that the copper acted as a seal , the nickel and chrome being porous and allowing air to reach the steel. I am not sure if this is the case. There are plenty of chrome jobs going around with out copper that seem to stand up over time

G-Man
honda305.com Member

Post by G-Man » Sun May 17, 2015 4:14 am

Greg

Copper is the 'filler', easily sanded. Nickel is the seal and can be polished to a high shine, but tarnishes quickly. The chrome adds the decorative permanent shine.

Plating steel with copper only, has the opposite effect to zinc. The steel become sacrificial. Once the chrome and nickel layers are damaged, the steel will corrode very quickly.

The chrome plated (with copper) were the worst parts of my CB72 project. The painted parts lasted much better.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

G
'60 C77 '60 C72 '62 C72 Dream '63 CL72
'61 CB72 '64 CB77 '65 CB160
'66 Matchless 350 '67 CL77
'67 S90 '77 CB400F

Steverino
honda305.com Member

Post by Steverino » Sun May 17, 2015 11:07 am

I am glad to hear these opinions of polishing alloy pieces. Do any of you clearcoat your work or just hit it with neverdull once in a while. I mostly polish my hubs and small engine covers. I don't think I overdo it.
Steve

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home