Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Oil Soaked Stator assembly

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
oldveeracer
honda305.com Member

Oil Soaked Stator assembly

Post by oldveeracer » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:10 am

1. In course of repairing starter clutch, found light coat of oil on stator. What is the recommended magic cleaning solution ?

2. Oil leakage appears small, but would like to replace all right side seals. How difficult is job to replace seal behind the starter clutch; assume it is the crank main seal ?

3. Have seen opposing views on lubricating new starter clutch rollers, old factory manual recommends silicone lube. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Tim Allman
honda305.com Member

Re: Oil Soaked Stator assembly

Post by Tim Allman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:50 am

1. In course of repairing starter clutch, found light coat of oil on stator. What is the recommended magic cleaning solution?

There's no magic solution and I'm not sure that I would try to clean it at all. If I were to clean it I would use a benign solvent such as mineral spirits. Be careful though. The insulation that separates the windings is the varnish on the wires. Some solvents like acetone would likely damage the insulation and possibly make the alternator useless.

2. Oil leakage appears small, but would like to replace all right side seals. How difficult is job to replace seal behind the starter clutch; assume it is the crank main seal ?

These seals can be replaced without opening the crankcase. The old ones can be pried out and the new ones inserted. It's a good idea to relieve the outer ends of the seal holes, perhaps with some sandpaper, to prevent the sharp edges from planing off the seal rubber as you tap them in. Use some grease or oil to help slide them in.

3. Have seen opposing views on lubricating new starter clutch rollers, old factory manual recommends silicone lube. Any recommendations?

I think that the silicone oil is there mostly to prevent rust. The rollers are supposed to jam between the crankshaft and the part that holds them. A good lubricant such as motor oil might lead to the clutch slipping so silicone oil seems to be a good choice.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home