Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CL77 Wiring Diagram

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Snakeoil
honda305.com Member

CL77 Wiring Diagram

Post by Snakeoil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Attached is what I believe to be an accurate CL77 Wiring diagram. This is based on the CB77 wiring diagram that LM said to use when working on a CL77. I've traced all the wires on the CB77 diagram and confirmed the similarities and noted the differences. So this diagram is based on my stock 1967 CL77.

A few notes regarding my findings/observations:

1. There are three wires in the main harness that are not used. The wire colors are Orange, Gray and Light Blue. They all have female connectors on them and are run up and into the headlight housing.

2. The ground wire for the Speedo light is not grounded at the speedo. There are two green wires coming off the lamp, one has a white tube on it. There are also two green wires in the main harness and one has a white tube on it. The green wire with the white tube is the ground. The actual ground terminal for the main harness wire is one of the mounting bolts for the coil bracket. The green wire with the white tube from the main harness has a duplex female connector and to it attaches the ground wire from the speedo light and the ground wire from the headlight. All are green wire with a white tube near the connectors.

3. I believe there is an error on the CB77 diagram. The brown wire coming from the HL terminal on the Light Switch is connected to the high/low beam switch on the handlebar switch. This provides power to either the high or low beam via the HiLo beam switch. The diagram shows a green wire running from the duplex connector on the main harness which connects to the green wire from the ML terminal on the on the Light switch. The green wire on the main harness provides power to the ML terminal on the light switch. The green wire running between the harness connector and the brown wire on the diagram would be another source of power to the HiLo beam switch if it were actually there. It is NOT THERE on my CL77 and I believe it is not there on any bike or either position of the light switch would turn on the head light instead of just the II position turning on the head light. So, this green wire has been eliminated on the attached diagram. I've redrawn the wiring for this portion and have shown the ground connection near the coils for clarity purposes.

For quick reference, I've created switch position diagrams and tables for both the combination and light switches and included them on the wiring diagram.

I have also elimated any devices that are not on the CL77 US spec bike for 1967 such as electric starter, starter solenoid, parking lamp and the speedo/tach and their associated wiring.

So, if all the CL77 bikes are wired the same, this diagram should work for all of them, at least the US spec models.

If anyone thinks I made an error, please let me know and I'll confirm it with my bike and make a correction if necessary.

regards,
Rob
Attachments
Wiring Diagram CL77 1967.JPG

bofish52
honda305.com Member

Wiring Diagram

Post by bofish52 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:07 pm

Snakeoil
Thanks alot just used your diagram today to finish up my late model 66 CL77.
It was right on the money.
Thanks again

twindgg
honda305.com Member

can't read the diagram

Post by twindgg » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:11 pm

How am I able to print it - or download it - so I can read it. I am trying to get a 1967 CL77 running and am having trouble with the wiring.
gary

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Re: can't read the diagram

Post by FluteTears » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:06 am

twindgg wrote:How am I able to print it - or download it - so I can read it. I am trying to get a 1967 CL77 running and am having trouble with the wiring.
gary
Click the photo it should open in a window go to menu file print.
Or right click it save it and open it then menu file print.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Re: can't read the diagram

Post by FluteTears » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:06 am

twindgg wrote:How am I able to print it - or download it - so I can read it. I am trying to get a 1967 CL77 running and am having trouble with the wiring.
gary
Click the photo it should open in a window go to menu file print.
Or right click it save it and open it then menu file print.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

twindgg
honda305.com Member

305 wiring

Post by twindgg » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:23 am

Stupid me- forgot the old right click button.

Thanks so much.
My scrambler is just about done - when I try to hook up the headlight - every time I turn on the switch on the headlight - it blows a fuse.
if I disconnect the green double wire - that is grounded to the bracket - the fuse will not blow - but the headlight will not work.

FluteTears
honda305.com Member

Re: 305 wiring

Post by FluteTears » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:28 am

twindgg wrote:Stupid me- forgot the old right click button.

Thanks so much.
My scrambler is just about done - when I try to hook up the headlight - every time I turn on the switch on the headlight - it blows a fuse.
if I disconnect the green double wire - that is grounded to the bracket - the fuse will not blow - but the headlight will not work.
Sounds like the hot wire to your head light is sorted to ground and not doing so at the head light.
The switch can do that.
1974 CT90
1964 CA77

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home