Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Coil wires

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Hippykid
honda305.com Member

Coil wires

Post by Hippykid » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:06 pm

Do the coil wires on this 65 CA77 screw into the coil unit or are they glued in? I dont want to try to unscrew them.....
65 CA77
74 DT360
74 TY250
66 CA95
10 Honda Fury

brewsky
honda305.com Member

Post by brewsky » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:17 pm

Nope, they are molded into the coils.
If you need to replace them, the best you could do is cut them close to the coil and install an in-line connector....I think NGK has them.
66 dream, 78 cb750k, 02fz1, 09 wing

Hahnda
honda305.com Member

Post by Hahnda » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Hey Kent,

You can also go the cheap route. I have done it before I knew NGK had splicers. Cut the wire, screw in a screw half way and then cut the head off. File or grind to a point. Then screw on the new wire. Electrical tape to finish it off.

But if you do need some of those NGK splicers I should have some more tomorrow unless my supplier was out of them. $6 each plus shipping.

Thanks

Kevin in Wisconsin (where SNOW is forecasted for tonight and tomorrow)

jensen
honda305.com Member

Post by jensen » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:16 am

Hi,

There's also a complex way to do it. Get the "cap" from the coil (cut it with a dremel), cut the old high tension wire, clean the coper wire, solder a new high tension wire onto it. Put back the cut off piece of the coil with silicon in the color of the coil plastic or use resin.

Jensen
assembly of Japanese motorcycles requires great peace of mind (Pirsig)

Hippykid
honda305.com Member

Post by Hippykid » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:03 am

Thanks guys-this is why we all congregate here-I have learned more in the last year about Dreams
(the riding type)here than I ever anticipated.Thanks again..wrench on...
65 CA77
74 DT360
74 TY250
66 CA95
10 Honda Fury

djohns
honda305.com Member

Coil HV wire

Post by djohns » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:34 pm

All the coils I have run across of that era have the wire on the coil end "potted" in. Usually epoxy, you can tell by the off clear or tan or grey color where the wire goes into the coil itself. If you cut the wire off at the coil you can pull out the insulation with needle nose pliers. Earlier colis have a small dowel inserted at a right angle made out of , you guessed it, bamboo! A bamboo skewer works good as a strain relief just don't push in too far and break the wire or make a point for the electrons to get out. Don't go probing too deep as there is a spike molded into the coil in that pocket. Clean the pocket out of all residual insulation and epoxy, wipe with a qtip and alcohol. Place your old (or new) wire with insulation on in the pocket impaling the copper core wire (no modern carbon/fiber core used here) over the spike of the coil. If you are sure the spike and wire core are in contact reepoxy using 30 minute epoxy and put in your strain relief. Wipe any epoxy off that oozed out with alcohol. Let it cure undisturbed overnight. Same as factory. Disclaimer: Granted I have not seen them all but the six I have redone have been like this.
Attachments
Spike visable in top hole.
Spike visable in top hole.
wire 1.jpg (2.77 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home