Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

CB77 turn signals

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Tue May 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Nice, Jensey. I've never seen the bracket, but I recognize the material. Isn't that "unobtainium"?
jensey wrote:Winker relay bracket, for mounting the relay to the frame pipe (between the air filters)
Attachments
ub.jpg
ub.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 4439 times

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Wed May 18, 2016 11:11 am

Jensey,

Thanks for the photo of the relay bracket. I was planning to put the relay in the headlight enclosure, but now I'm re-thinking the idea.

Seadog,

Revised wiring diagram below. Some of your comments made me realize that more information on the diagram would help me avoid confusion and possibly mistakes as I do the actual wiring. The ignition and headlight switches now show all terminals.

The changes to the stator, headlight switch, and old rectifier terminal wiring result from conversations with Charlie. 3-wire harness from Charlie's reg/rect is not needed - the wires are long enough to go all the way to the stator connections.

The Honda wiring diagram shows a 5-terminal headlight switch. My switch has only 4 terminals. If you look carefully at the diagram, you'll see that the HL and ML terminals are wired together, rendering the switch effectively a 4-terminal device.

Interesting terminology on the Honda wiring diagram:

The blue headlight wire, which is the high beam wire, is labeled "Dimmer." Seems like a
strange and misleading translation.

The red headlight wire, which is the low beam wire, is labeled "Main." I guess if you do
your night riding mostly in the city, you'll be using mostly the low beam, so maybe calling
it "Main" is understandable, but still - maybe not the greatest translation.

Fun fact: the battery is labeled "Buttery."

Hoping to finish the wiring today and light it up.

Phil
Attachments
1683BC-CB77-Turn-Signal-Wiring-Diagram.jpg
1683BC-CB77-Turn-Signal-Wiring-Diagram.jpg (244.26 KiB) Viewed 4407 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Excellent job on the new diagram, Phil. Very easy to understand. I'm sure future readers will appreciate your time & effort; I certainly do.

As far as the flasher relay location is concerned, as much as I like Jensey's original bracket (and I'm sure you could fabricate one), I think that mounting the flasher inside the headlight bucket has advantages, not the least of which are ease of wiring and ease of access.

I, too, have to smile at some of Honda's terminology and instructions. In the rider's handbook, it says to turn the headlight dimmer switch "clockwise" for low beam. While I can understand it, it might have been better to say forward or back, since that's more appropriate from the rider's perspective.

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project.

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Sat May 21, 2016 1:26 pm

The turn signal project is done. Photos below. All lighting works as intended, except for an annoying delay (2 or 3 seconds) when you first turn on a turn signal. The delay must be due to the bimetallic strip in the flasher warming up. I could probably improve this by adding dummy loads (resistors) in parallel with the lamp filaments. Battery is dead, so I had to improvise to do testing. Note that battery is missing from the underseat wiring photo. Still need to check charging current and voltage, which I can't do until I get a new battery.

I'll tie off the underseat wiring at final assembly.

Only had to add 2 wires to the harness.

Headlight bucket wiring got very busy.

Still have a lot of paint and plating work yet to do.

Phil
Attachments
CB77-Trun-Signal-Handlebar-Switch.JPG
CB77-Trun-Signal-Handlebar-Switch.JPG (131.2 KiB) Viewed 4350 times
CB77-Turn-Signal-Harness-Wires.JPG
CB77-Turn-Signal-Harness-Wires.JPG (338.83 KiB) Viewed 4347 times
CB77-Underseat-Wiring.JPG
CB77-Underseat-Wiring.JPG (314.16 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
CB77-Headlight-Bucket-Wiring.JPG
CB77-Headlight-Bucket-Wiring.JPG (146.57 KiB) Viewed 4349 times
CB77-Left-Front.JPG
CB77-Left-Front.JPG (253.73 KiB) Viewed 4350 times

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat May 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Well done, Phil! The bike is looking great. I also like your turn/horn/headlight switch; what is it from?

Let me know how you like your electronic ignition. I spent a few hours today fabricating a bracket for a voltage regulator/rectifier in anticipation of receiving a Sachse ignition unit sometime late next week.
philrock wrote:The turn signal project is done. Photos below. All lighting works as intended, except for an annoying delay (2 or 3 seconds) when you first turn on a turn signal. The delay must be due to the bimetallic strip in the flasher warming up. I could probably improve this by adding dummy loads (resistors) in parallel with the lamp filaments. Battery is dead, so I had to improvise to do testing. Note that battery is missing from the underseat wiring photo. Still need to check charging current and voltage, which I can't do until I get a new battery.

I'll tie off the underseat wiring at final assembly.

Only had to add 2 wires to the harness.

Headlight bucket wiring got very busy.

Still have a lot of paint and plating work yet to do.

Phil

philrock
honda305.com Member

Post by philrock » Sat May 21, 2016 4:22 pm

Here's the turn signal handlebar switch:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_from=R ... 1670098969

The polishing under the chrome is poor quality - consistent with the price, and the wiring diagram that came with it has a couple of wires swapped.

The polishing on the turn signals is excellent. I bought them from Charlie's Place, and they are made by K & S Technologies. K & S also makes turn signal switches:
http://www.kandstech.com/index.php?page ... scontrols#
There's a chrome one toward the bottom of the page. I would bet the quality is excellent, and the price a lot more than I paid.

I don't have electronic ignition - just a new reg/rect. Still using points. I'll have more to say about the new reg/rect. after the new battery is installed.

Seadog
honda305.com Member

Post by Seadog » Sat May 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Thanks, Phil.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home