Vintage Honda Owners,
Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Wiring a keyed ignition switch Cp77

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Tue May 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Looks like it has been taken apart but from what I see it probably is a HONDA switch.
Can I see a pic from the back but a little farther back and a pic of the front. .................lm
WrenchRust wrote:Man, it took me one day to pull that Ford 4.0 engine apart. 1 day to change out the head gaskets and put the engine back together. Then it took me a full day to get the left side exhaust manifold to line up and bolted on.

But now that that's done, back to the matter at hand. I took a picture of the back of the ignition switch. I'm guessing that's what you wanted a picture of?

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Tue May 24, 2016 10:22 pm

Thanks for your help Ed.

The key switch is NOS and is exactly the same as the one I had on before. 35010-268-030
Attachments
1076.jpg
1076.jpg (156.53 KiB) Viewed 1923 times
1075.jpg
1075.jpg (176.03 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 pm

The black and red wire was the only different one from the original. It is the wire that goes to the coils.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 25, 2016 7:40 am

On the same BLACK terminal is a BLACK wire.
Where does it go?. .........lm
WrenchRust wrote:The black and red wire was the only different one from the original. It is the wire that goes to the coils.

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Wed May 25, 2016 4:21 pm

I went through each wire and followed it with my multimeter set on continuity.

The Black Post (marked IG) has two wires. 1) blk/red goes to the coils. 2) blk wire goes to the starter button in the handle bar controls.

The Green Post (marked HL) Goes into the the head lamp and looks to connect to the headlight as well as the gauge back light)

The White Post (marked TL) Goes to the tail light and goes into head light bucket. According to a diagram I found, it connects to the parking lamp in the head light but I haven't figured that out yet.

The Red Post (marked BAT) goes into the inline fuse and then into the battery. (Hot reads 12.71v)

The Red/White post (marked CH) had two wires. One solid red. I believe that one goes into the rectifier. And a Red wire with a white sleeve (Hot reads 12.68v), the goes to the battery.

I'm guessing my mistake is happening somewhere within the red wires.

LOUD MOUSE
honda305.com Member

Post by LOUD MOUSE » Wed May 25, 2016 6:56 pm

Please call me on this. ..............lm
WrenchRust wrote:I went through each wire and followed it with my multimeter set on continuity.

The Black Post (marked IG) has two wires. 1) blk/red goes to the coils. 2) blk wire goes to the starter button in the handle bar controls.

The Green Post (marked HL) Goes into the the head lamp and looks to connect to the headlight as well as the gauge back light)

The White Post (marked TL) Goes to the tail light and goes into head light bucket. According to a diagram I found, it connects to the parking lamp in the head light but I haven't figured that out yet.

The Red Post (marked BAT) goes into the inline fuse and then into the battery. (Hot reads 12.71v)

The Red/White post (marked CH) had two wires. One solid red. I believe that one goes into the rectifier. And a Red wire with a white sleeve (Hot reads 12.68v), the goes to the battery.

I'm guessing my mistake is happening somewhere within the red wires.

WrenchRust
honda305.com Member

Post by WrenchRust » Wed May 25, 2016 8:20 pm

OK. I'm going to ride home and call in about 30 minutes. It's Ed Moore, right? I don't think I have you saved in my phone as Loud Mouse but I should probably do so as I seen to need to call you every few years.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home