Starter wire disconnected - reconnect and blowing fuses

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
akpasta
honda305.com Member

Starter wire disconnected - reconnect and blowing fuses

Post by akpasta » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Hi Folks!

1964 CB77. Stock ignition.

I noticed my electric starter motor quit working, I hit the button, and it does not work.

I pulled the headlight off to look at the wiring and I find two bare wires, one yellow with red stripes that goes to the starter button, and a green one connects to two black wires.

According to wiring diagrams I've checked, the starer wire should connect to two black wires. Also these are the ONLY bare wires in the headlight, so I'm thinking they are supposed to go together.

I wrapped the wires together real quick to test, and it blew a fuse. Then I wrapped them tighter and I blew another fuse. BTW the bike kickstarts and runs fine (no blown fuses) with the wires connected, it's when I push the button that the fuse blows. Then I tried again because I'm dumb and I blew a third fuse.

photo here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B37sR ... 2gtbGFZbDQ

I have three thoughts/questions.

1. I am going to solder the wires together; perhaps they need a stronger connection.
2. What fuse should I use? The last one I tried was a 4A 32V fuse.
3. I realize there could be a short elsewhere that was perhaps caused by the two wires in question coming apart slowly over time. Is this common or possible? I want to make sure I use the right fuse because I don't want to fry any other wiring, especially ones inside the wiring harness that are a b*tch to get to.

Thank you!

oldbikedude
honda305.com Member

Post by oldbikedude » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 pm

I'm afraid I'm not gonna be the answer you were looking for but I have to mention the green wire at the top right of the picture looks a little smokey. It might just be the picture fooling me.
'67 Ca77 Dream

cadman
honda305.com Member

Fuse

Post by cadman » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:14 pm

The yellow/red wire from the starter button just completes the ground circuit to the starter solenoid. It goes directly to the starter solenoid it connects to nothing else. Pushing the button, if it connected properly, should not blow a fuse.

Likely your starter solenoid or the starter itself is bad. You can do a quick check by putting a metal object (screw driver or wrench) across the two large terminals on the starter solenoid. If the starter runs it's the solenoid if it doesn't run it's the starter.

DJM
honda305.com Member

Starter not working.

Post by DJM » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:49 pm

DON'T solder the yellow/red wire to the black or green ones. If you have blown three fuses the 'strength' of this connection is obviously not an issue

There should be only two yellow / red stripe wires in the headlight unit, one from the starter solenoid which you should find in the main wiring harness that comes up from the back of the bike and a second one going to the push button on the right hand bar.

If you've found a loose yellow/red wire then there's another one you haven't found yet and these two should be connected together and to nothing else.

If you don't have the two yellow/red wires connected together that's probably why your starter doesn't work!

Look again, find the two yellow/red wires. connect them together and see what happens when you push the button,

Good Luck,

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home