Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Horn-Dimmer switch - what do I have

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Horn-Dimmer switch - what do I have

Post by deuce_7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:19 pm

As a spare, I acquired what I was informed is a Horn-Dimmer switch for a CL72/77. It is very similar to the one I have on my '67 CL77; however there is no hole in the bottom housing for the wire sleeve to pass through. Instead, the wiring passes through the opening for the handle bar. Did early Scrambler models have wiring travel inside the handle bar, instead of externally? I wonder what Honda models this spare dimmer switch I have is for, really.

Thanks for any Info,

DJM
honda305.com Member

Dimmer switch

Post by DJM » Fri May 17, 2019 3:29 pm

As far as I know all CLs had the wiring run external to the bars, CBs on the other hand always had the wiring through the handlebar.

What you have is probably a CB switch but the same switch was used on several other models from the same period.

Only differences may be the length of the wires and / or the colour of the outer sheathing.

In the past I've seen them with blue sleeving which (I think) were from the 125cc and 150cc models.

Switches though are all pretty much the same and should interchange.

I've seen switches from two different manufacturers, again the switches will interchange OK but individual component parts may not.

Hope this helps.

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Dimmer Switch

Post by deuce_7 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Thank you DJM, this is very helpful. Now I know the switch is for a CB model(s). Only other difference I notice is that on the CL77 the wires are red-brown-blue-black. On this spare, the wires are red-green-blue-black. (black is horn wire).

As you say, the switch probably can be made generally interchangeable with a few details that might need to be addressed.

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home