Restorers, Riders and
Admirers

Headlight wiring

Charging System, Wiring, Lighting
Davescycles72
honda305.com Member

Headlight wiring

Post by Davescycles72 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:10 am

I have started on restoring a CB77, thanks to this forum I found a 1965 date on wiring loom, the number range is CB77e-102xxxx. I have got it running,so I started the painting and cleaning. Good time to get electrical buttoned up. The harness appears stock and pretty good for age. Problem is I have no red wire or brown in the bucket,it appears the dimmer is after market,and the headlight off/on.

I ohmed both and they working, though colors aren’t correct. The blue wire has continuity when hi beam and low are selected so I thought it was power. Nope. Anyone who has wired both switches with after market help appreaciiated?
Thanks

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Re: Headlight wiring

Post by deuce_7 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:41 pm

For a correctly configured and original CB77 LH horn and dimmer switch, there are four wires in the LH switch harness:
Red: High Beam
Blue: Low Beam
Green: Power feed wire
Black: Horn

(Note: On some CB and CL switches depending on series date of manufacture and model, the power feed wire is Brown instead of Green. In your original post you mentioned a Brown wire, so thought I’d leave this note).

Those four wire colors should also be in the main harness and routed to the headlight bucket, where they connect to the LH switch harness. The Headlight On/Off switch is a separate component mounted on the headlight shell.

Can’t comment on modified wiring and aftermarket switch since there are many ways it could go.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Davescycles72
honda305.com Member

Post by Davescycles72 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:16 am

Thanks for the reply, I have no brown wire out of harness,so power is on Green going to dipper switch ? Most everything in bucket that is green is ground, so one green is switched hot?
Thanks Dave

deuce_7
honda305.com Member

Post by deuce_7 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:02 am

Correct,

In original configuration the Green wire is the hot power feed. The toggle dimmer knob on the LH switch will transfer power to Hi or Low beam when selected.

Since there has been some rewiring to accommodate aftermarket components, can't comment on the Ground attachments.

Use multimeter to find 12V hot Green wire when ignition switch and headlight switch are switched On.

If interested, we have a reconditioned CB77 LH switch available. Switch manufacture date: September 1963.
1967 CL77 305 Scrambler

Davescycles72
honda305.com Member

Post by Davescycles72 » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:06 am

Thanks green was it, as most Hondas use green for ground I never considered one would be hot.
Thanks to all

CB-77 | CYP-77 | Road Test | Riding Log | Literature | Zen | Marketplace | VJ Survey | Links | Home